National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Moha [¤]
Click to zoom

Moha

(County Fejér)

The first documented mention of the settlement, situated to the northwest of the county seat Székesfehérvár, goes back to 1243. That was the time when "all the lands of Moha", together with the mill grounds, got into the possession of Constantine, Canon of Székesfehérvár. His ownership was in 1248 endorsed by King Béla IV. In the decades that followed, Moha was owned by a secular landlord, namely Comes Aladár, son of Chete. In the early 14th century the settlement's first church already existed. During the Turkish occupation there was a break in the development of the village. When Székesfehérvár fell to the Turks in 1543, Moha was abandoned by its dwellers, and it was not until several decades later that it got resettled in 1572. In the period that had passed the inhabitants converted to Calvinism. After the expulsion of the Turks Count Ferenc Esterházy was the landlord of the village, followed by the Amade family in 1701. Nearly a century later the estate of Moha was purchased by the Bajzáth family. In the 19th century the landowner was György Bajzáth, counsellor to the king. The opening of the Ágnes spring, which made the name of the village widely known, is linked to his name. As related by a contemporary document, "... he had the well laid out with carved stones, had a guest house built next to it, and opened it to the public. Thus did Moha become a place of leisure especially for those living nearby; in the open air theatrical performances would also have been held."

The existence of village administration can be traced back to the 13th century. The settlement's first known magistrate was András Mohai, whose name was mentioned in a register of 1696. It might have been at the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries that the village had its seal made, with which local documents were authorised. The central charges of the seal, a plough and an ear of wheat, were enfiled with corn ears. The legend bore MOHA PETSETJE. This seal was used in the late 19th century as well. In the decades to come the design of the seal got simplified, and it would only bear the legend MOHA KÖZSÉG * FEJÉR VÁRMEGYE.

In the course of history, the village of Moha did not have a coat-of-arms or a flag of its own. These emblems are now being created by the local authority on the basis of the settlement's past, natural environment and the main branches of economy. The coat-of-arms as described above has been designed with respect to the dwellers' opinion.

The shield, one of the most important components of the coat-of-arms, represents the classic form of shield called heater, tierced in pairle reversed by curving lines. The first field bears: vert, three ears of wheat or, couped. The second field bears: azure, an oak tree eradicated, trunked argent and foliaged vert. The charge of the first field refers to agriculture as the dwellers' main source of living, whereas that of the second symbolises "Parkerdő" (forest park).

The third field (the tent) represents the settlement's chief characteristic feature, the Ágnes Mohai spring and its water of curative effect. It bears: gules, a well argent in pale; issuant therefrom a spring breaking out and curving to the dexter and to the sinister, with waterdrops azure falling back; coiled around the spring a serpent or. (This representation contradicts the classic conventions of heraldry, because metal is placed on metal [or on argent] and colour on colour [azure on gules], but this contradiction is resolved by the fact that the inhabitants approve of it.)