National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Mindszent
Click to zoom

Mindszent

(The County of Csongrád)

The coat of arms consists of a vertically impaled escutcheon, tapering to a point at its base. The top of the escutcheon is straight, its two nooks are cut off and there are curved cuts on both sides.

The field is blue. In the middle of the upper field there is a ploughshare originated from the 18th-19th century. It is natural grey and it is shown in relief. Its curved edge points to the left side of the escutcheon. On both sides of the field silver fish can be seen. Their position is vertical and they are ventrally towards the inside of the field. Their fins are red. There are two horizontal silver fesses at the bottom of the field. One of them is wider and the other is narrower. The wave of crests can be seen in the middle and on both sides of the field as well.

The blue field symbolizes the sky, air and water and these are the symbols of purity, justice and faithfulness. The ploughshare stands for the ancient agriculture, the main accupation of the inhabitants of Mindszent.

The fish symbolize the seven founder fisher families and the ancient fishing as well. The wider silver fess stands for the winding River Tisza and the narrower one typifies the River Kurca referring to the location of the town at the mouth of the two rivers and the scene of fishing and ferriage as well.

Mindszent was populated and depopulated on several occassions from time immemorial. Nevertheless seven fisher families settled down on the bank of the River Tisza about 1700. The river was plenteous in fish. These seven families were able to live a life of ease because they were hard-working and honest. Mindszent, that has never been depopulated since then, takes its origin from their settling. At all times families have been able to earn their living here. Is the legend true? We do not know but this legend has been surviving since then. If anyone is asked about the origin of Mindszent, this is the answer: "The seven fisher families...".

History:

Mindszent lies at the left bank of the River Tisza where this river meets the River Kurca. The surface of this region is diversified. The town lies half-way between Szentes and Hódmezővásárhely.

According to archaelogical finds it was populated as early as the ancient times. The first Magyar settlers of Hungary also occupied this area of Csongrád County. There are findings that prove it but the neighbourhood of Szer confirms us in our opinion (Pusztaszer is situated 6 km from Mindszent).

1332 was the first year when a register made reference to the vicarage and the twin village of Mindszent. It also referred to the tithe. The twin village was called Apor and later it was merged into Mindszent.

This settlement, that was depopulated on several occassions during the history, always survived through resettlers.

Its church, that was rebuilt several times, was dedicated to "All Saints". Therefore our town was named after its church.

The village was able to develop considerably after the driving out of the Turks. Priest Imre Hódosy, who settled in Mindszent in 1702, took a prominent part in this development. He reorganized the vicarage and the administration of the village. The population of Mindszent increased from this time on.

The village belonged to a trust territory under the reign of Count Sándor Károlyi in the 18th century. Then Count György Endrődi became the new landowner of Mindszent from 1733. Countess Leopoldina Zichy, who was Marquess Károly Pallavicini's widow, bought the estate in 1804. Then she endowed her son, Eduárd Pallavicini with the domain. Marquess Alfons Pallavicini inherited the estate in 1839. Later the property fell to Marquess Sándor Pallavicini from 1875. Then his son, Alfonz Pallavicini was the landlord of Mindszent until 1945. Later he was presented the freedom of the town. The population of Mindszent honoured the Pallavicinis and they were very much obliged to them.

The railway traffic of the village commenced in 1893. Károly Kindergarten founded by Marquess Sándor Pallavicini was built in 1902. Elementary School for Girls was built in 1903 and Elementary School for Boys was built in 1905. These three buildings form a nice row of schools in the main square of the settlement. It is still a pleasant dash of colour of our town. Mindszent was the seat of Tiszántúl District from 1884 till 1950. Then it became the seat of Mindszent District and it ruled the village notary's offices of Derekegyház, Mágocs, Mindszent and Szegvár.

Town Hall:

It was designed by József Rimár architect and master builder. It was built in the middle of a park in 1938. This piece of ground was endowed by the Pallavicinis, too. You can take a walk under the plane-trees of the nice park that surrounds the castle-like town hall.

The marriage-room is a significant dash of colour of the town hall where you can see József Fodor's picture who is a painter in Hódmezővásárhely. This painting immortalizes the legend of the foundation of Mindszent.

Culture:

Our cultural institutions, he Local Historical Collection, Lajos Keller Town Library and Tisza Cultural Centre organize and arrange the cultural and public programmes of the town by the help of the local civil organizations.

Education:

There are two kindergartens in Mindszent and these are controlled by one headmastership. We have got two primary schools called Central Primary School and Dózsa Primary School (the latter is one of the self-improver schools of the Soros Foundation). Our pupils can learn German and English languages. Our schools attach great importance to teach computer science.

Economy:

More and more industrial units were established as the workshops of the enterprises of the neighbouring towns from the 1960s. It was mainly the ÁFÉSZ (General Consumers and Sellers Cooperative) that traded.

The only agricultural cooperative cultivated 6,000 hectares of land till 1992. After the fundamental change in property relations three independent agricultural cooperatives were formed. Nowadays there is only one agricultural cooperative that cultivates (AGRO Agricultural Cooperative).

Beach:

The Tisza recreation area is the gem of our tourism. Those who like relaxation and recreation find their account. The pleasing services of the sandy Tisza-beach make your holiday more enjoyable. The ferry is near Mindszent is an ancient ferry crossing-place. Nowadays you can still take the ferry. The Ópusztaszer National Historic Memorial Park can be approached on foot if you follow the signs of the "Blue Hike" (6 km from Mindszent) or it can also be approached by car via the Natural Reserve of Ópusztaszer.

The River Kurca and the River Tisza await those who like silence, rowing and angling. Those who like riding can go to the local horse-farm. There are camping facilities under the shady trees in the immediate vicinity of the beach where 200 people can sleep. The services include communal showers with hot and cold running water and electricity supply. Ther is a youth camp with 30 tents where the survices include hot and cold running water and supervision.