National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Mezőkovácsháza [* ¤]
Click to zoom

Mezőkovácsháza

(The County of Békés)

Mezőkovácsháza is a town in the southeastern part of the county of Békés.

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a pointed base, in the chief parti per fess vert and or. In the field vert a high-chimneyed blacksmith's house and forge or, with the frontispiece looking to the dexter, the longitudinal side at a slant to the sinister, and the interior (with two windows, one door and forgery shed) tinctured sable.

In the field or a blacksmith's anvil borne alaisé and with the longitudinal side affronté, surmounted by a blacksmith's hammer handled to the sinister, all sable. In front of the anvil a pair of blacksmith's pliers sable, with the handles to the sinister.

The outer ornaments of the town’s coat-of-arms can be described as follows:

Below the shield a double ribbon or with split ends. The settlement’s name MEZŐKOVÁCSHÁZA is inscribed in it in capital letters sable. Below the settlement’s name the date 1463 is borne, a reference to the year, when King Mathias raised Mezőkovácsháza to the rank of market town. Between the shield and the ’speaking’ ribbon the two typical plants of the area, an ear of corn and a tobacco plant are borne.

On both sides the shield is supported by two lions or. The beasts are reminders of the fact that formerly Mezőkovácsháza and Reformátuskovácsháza were two independent settlements. Shield is topped by a mural crown or, a typical ornament in coats-of-arms of market towns. The crown is also a reference to the fact that Mezőkovácsháza used to be possessed by the Treasury.

The coat-of-arms is obviously an illustration of the settlement's name, but in fact it reveals much more of the town's history. The colour green emphasises the plain area, together with the agricultural fields and pastures by the brook called Szárazér. It was here that Máté Bereczki, one of the youths who played a decisive role in the revolution of 1848, settled down in 1862. He became a renowned pomologist (fruit expert), who founded one of the first tree nurseries and fruit improvement plants in Hungary. He was also the first to write specialised literature on pomology, and he himself described over 800 kinds of fruit.

The house borne in the green field and the blacksmith's forge with the forgery shed, apart from referring to the name of the settlement (especially to the posterior constituent -háza [meaning house]) is a reminder of the one-time significance of animal husbandry (mainly sheep farming). Mezőkovácsháza also functioned as a busy post along the road between Orosháza and Arad. In addition, since at that time Szárazér was still navigable for barges, it was possible to reach even Hódmezővásárhely and Szeged by water.

The per fess division of the shield evokes that the Tartars, who were then allied to the Turks, burnt and devastated the settlement in 1596, and it was only in the early 19th century (1814) that the village got resettled.

The golden field symbolises the wealth and the rich history of the settlement. As early as the 11th century it already had a church. Then, in the 15th century, it became a market town (oppidum), and the church was enlarged. The local landlord, Benedek Szentdemeteri-Bessenyei, had in 1508 an elaborate mansion built. In 1552 the place was burnt by the Turks, but in 1561 it was again owned by four different landlords. Apart from the houses belonging to the poor, sixteen noteworthy places of dwelling were registered. This number grew to 32 in 1557-8 and to 54 in 1563, all of which were raised to the status of hász-possession by the Sultan (i.e. one liable to pay tax exclusively to the Sublime Porte). This tax amounted to 22,500 akcse in 1567 and 37,000 in 1579. Following its resettlement after the expulsion of the Turks, the settlement belonged to the Treasury and became a district centre. In 1986 it was raised to the rank of town. The golden colour is also a reminder of the one-time local celebrities and war heroes.

The anvil and the hammer symbolise the middle component of the town's name (kovács, meaning blacksmith). According to linguists, it comes from a personal name, but since its first mention in 1463 as Kowachaza goes back to a period when surnames were just beginning to be used, it is likely that the bearer of the name Kovács was in fact a blacksmith by profession. In addition, the anvil refers to the hard work and endurance of the inhabitants, whereas the two tools, the anvil and the hammer, inseparable from each other in a blacksmith's forge, also represent the two dominant ethnic groups, the Hungarians and the Slovaks. The pliers expressively symbolise the fact that whenever the settlement got destroyed, it was always rebuilt. They also emphasise that the locals have an attachment to everything that is beautiful, good or new and, in addition to self-improvement, they also have a commitment to make their town and community prosperous. In addition, the tools of smithery refer to the association called Friends of Mezőkovácsháza, the well-operating local clubs, the groups of amateur artists and to the sports unions.

The coat-of-arms was designed and made by the graphic artist Nándor Szilvássy, winner of the Munkácsy-award.

The outer ornaments of the coat-of-arms of Mezőkovácsháza were designed by graphic artist Béla Boros.

E-mail: polg.hiv.mkhaza@mail.datanet.hu

Pictures:

1. The Mayor's Office

2. The Post Office

3. A block of flats

4. The Roman Catholic church