National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Mezőhegyes [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Mezőhegyes

(The County of Békés)

Based on a datum that is not easy to be located, the history of Mezőhegyes can be dated back to as early as the beginning of the 13th century; however, from the beginning of the 15th century, its existence can undoubtedly be justified by data.

The town's coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a rounded base, at honour point parti per fess vert and or. In chief and partly in fess vert (upper field) a vaulted gate or alaisé, in base and partly in fess or (lower field) a horse sable animé, effaré.

The golden field evokes the settlement's great past and notable dwellers. In 1421 its first known landowner, the master János Jánki of Nagylak, made his heir the renowned Miklós Csáki, Voivod of Transylvania, Lord Lieutenant of the counties Békés and Bihar, and Knight of the Order of Dragons. However, after Jánki's death King Sigismund revised the last will and bestowed the settlement on Albert Nagy Mihályi, the powerful prior of Vrana, provincial of the Hungarian province of the Knights Hospitallers. Then it was owned by the Hunyadi family until King Mathias, despite protestations by his mother Erzsébet Szilágyi, gave it to the Jaksics family in 1463. Later the ownership of the settlement was shared between their heirs of female line.

The green field on the one hand expresses that the fields of the town are pastures and arable soils of outstanding quality (in the 20th century, for example, successful experiments with the cultivation of rice were carried out here), while on the other hand it is a reminder of the fact that during the fights of 1550-2 between the Turks and the Hungarians the settlement suffered vast damage. In 1555 it was mentioned as a puszta (wasteland); tax was only paid after four ground-plots two years later, and after seven six years later. Following this, southern Slav families settled at Mezőhegyes, which at that time belonged to the Turkish tax district (náhije) of Csanád (in 1579, tax was paid by thirty-five demesnes). During the 15-year-war, however, the area was in 1596 completely devastated by the Crimean Tartar hordes allied to the Turks, so that it remained a puszta for a long time.

The fiery prancing horse is a symbol of the fact that the local people have always been greatly attracted to horses - a feature traditionally characteristic of Hungarians. The villeins of Mezőhegyes were as early as in 1480 involved in a case of arbitrary action, whereby the herd of Zádorlak was forcefully driven away. It might have been the genius loci (spirit of the place) that suggested to Emperor Joseph II that he resettle Mezőhegyes in 1785 and establish here the country's first state-owned horse-breeding estate.

The golden gate refers to the vaulted buildings typical of the settlement; it also offers a stylised image of the Hild Gate, a unique architectural feature of Mezőhegyes, and evokes the memory of the builder, János Hild (1761-1811). On the other hand, it is a reminder of the fact that the settlement, then still a village, in 1984 was awarded the János Hild Commemorative Medal by the Hungarian Society for Urban Studies. (It was the first time that the society had awarded this prize.) In addition, the gate as a building expresses the settlement's rank of town gained in 1989, and the openness with which local people look into the future.

Photos:

01. The directoral buliding of the Ménesbirtok Shareholdong company. The building used to be the buliding of the stud captain. It was built by the plans of József Jung, in rococo style in 1790.

 

02. The style is eclectic suburban style. The building was built in 1913, and it oreintates to the neighbouring “Centrál” building. It used to be the dormitory of unmarried officers, later it became a building of administration.

 

03. The building was built by the plans of János Hild in empire style, in 1807. The south triumphal arch bears a Nonius head, and an inscription. They are the work of sculptor Géza Stremeny, and were created in 1984.

04. The style is eclectic suburban style, was built in 1885 for the 100th anniversary of Ménesbirtok. Originally it was an exhibition pavilion, later a hotel, casino, culture house and office building. At present, a restaurant can be found in it.

 

05. Kossuth street 20. The building bears romantic elements, and it was the house of the chief architect. Was biult in 1864 in romantic style. In 1989 it was renovated by the plans of Tihanyai Judit.

 

06. Was built in late rococo style in 1789 by the plans of József Jung. The restaurant most importantly served the guests of the fairs. Today it serves as an Agricultural Vocational Secondary School.

 

07. Hotel Nonius*** was built according to the plans of József Jung, in 1790, in late baroque style. Rooms are furnished with 18th century furniture. All rooms are equipped with telephone, television and icebox.

 

08. The fitted carpet is the spot of recreation and different fesives.

09. The amusement park of exotic beauty can be found right of the Petőfi Walkway.

10. NONIUS foal