National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Mezőcsát
Click to zoom

Mezőcsát

(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

The arms of Mezőcsát: in the blue background of a standing shield with a round bottom on green land there is a silvery nest, there are three pelican nestlings fed by their mother (the birds are silvery). On the shield there is a golden crown with leaves.

You can find three seals of Mezőcsát market town in the archives of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County. We see a lot of seal prints on a lot of documents of the 18th century. The heraldic emblem is a pelican feedings its nestlings with its own blood (this emblem appears quite often on Hungarian arms). A crown can be seen above the shield. During the renewal the heraldic emblem was not changed practically and we chose the colours according to to rules of heraldry.

The short history of the town:

Mezőcsát was an inhabited settlement in the Bronze Age, too as rich Bronze Age findings prove it.

The first written facts are from the XIII. th century, but the excavations of 1925 show that the conquering Hungarians (896) settled here too.

- Monks appeared here too not long after the reign of King István and bailiff Péter of the Aba clan founded the százdi (Zasty) monastery of the Order of Saint Benedict. The százdi baulk - one of the baulks of the south - eastern outskirts of the settlement - today still keeps the memory of the monastery.

- The owners of the old Hungarian settlement was the örös lord or the members of a clan related to him.

At the beginning of the XIII. th century the settlement had two parts. The free feudal tenants lived in Szabadcsát and the servants and libertines lived in Lakcsát. The owner of both settlement parts was bailiff Bors from the Miskolc clan.

- In 1283 King László IV th spent some time here.

Between the XIII th and XIX th Centuries a lot of landowning families had territories in Csát. From these the Tornallyay family from Liptó county had the most important role in the life of Csát.

In 1474 our great national king, King Mátyás endowed Csáth Csitke and Burok together with other goods to the Tornallyay family calling them his faithful followers.

- It is a reformed settlement since 1476.

- Emperor and King Lipót Ist gave Csát the right of holding markets and to the nobles he gave the right to collect toll. On the second Wednesday of each month there is still a country-wide market. At the beginning of the XVIII th century in 1712 the council of Csát market town decided that nobody can sell his piece of ground and nobody can make his land saleable without the permission of the council.

- During the Rákóczi fight for freedom (from 1703 to 1711) the Kuruts leaders took away the land of the Potornyai family who were the adherents of the Emperor and gave it to their Csát followers.

- During the 1848-49 revolution and fight for freedom the major part of the inhabitants of Mezőcsát were adherents of Kossuth The Russian troops that came to put down the fight for freedom united on 12th June in Mezőcsát.

The local inhbitants damaged some of the vehicles that carried the reverves for the Russian troops.

- Because of this they burnt the town down in retaliation.

- The history of the town is practically the same as the history of other market towns. Its life has always been and endless fight for survival. It was a constant battlefield of Hungarian history in the fight "between two pagans for the motherland". The town kept its status of a market town inspite of being destroyed times till 1870. After 1870 it is a large village (constituting an administrative division) and from 1883 it is a district centre. It lost its role of a district centre due to disadvantageous centralizing settlement politics in 1982.

- At the turn of the century the settlement with its 5000 inhbitant was the natural centre of the sorrounding settlements economically, commercially, administratively and culturally.

- The railway built in 1906 brought positive changes in the life of the settlement.

- In 1910 the town had two newspapers - "Mezőcsát and its region" and "Mezőcsát Newspaper". As it was a district centre the organs of administration and public institutions worked here.

- After the Ilnd world war there were some typical changes here, too.

- Inspite of loosing the function of the district centre in 1982 due to finishing old investments and planning and realizing new ones made it possible for the settlement to tender for the status of a town and to get it at the end of the decade.

Mezőcsát can be called a town since 1st January 1991.