National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Medgyesegyháza [¤]
Click to zoom

Medgyesegyháza

(The County of Békés)

The coat-of-arms of the municipality of Medgyesegyháza is a shield erect party per pale, the top and sides straight, the base curved to a point.

The base is tinctured azure (blue). The colour blue is the symbol of water, a vital element of life. The reason for this motif to be borne in the arms is that Medgyesegyháza is situated above one of Hungary's most significant drinking water reserves, upon the Maros alluvial cone, in the vicinity of the ground water base formed by the rivers Körös.

Issuing from the base azure a stylised tree of life argent is borne. The tree of life is the ancient and eternal symbol of continuity and revival, thus it refers to the history of the settlement which, during the Middle Ages, got depopulated on two occasions, but it also got resettled and started to prosper both times.

Behind the tree of life the field is party per pale gules and vert, the outlines are all adumbrated sable.

The tinctures gules and vert of the field, as well as the tincture argent of the tree of life are Hungary's national colours. This is meant to signify that the area of the settlement has always been Hungarian land inhabited by Hungarians.

The colour blue of the base symbolises the Slovak dwellers who arrived here during the resettlement of the village. In the coat-of-arms, made for the 100th anniversary of Medgyesegyháza's becoming a municipality, the colours symbolising the different nationalities harmonise with each other, whereas the tree of life, which feeds on them equally, bursts into bloom. Thus the coat-of-arms rightly symbolises our village's hard-working, deft and peaceful people.

The site of today's Medgyesegyháza has been inhabited for more than a thousand years, as proved by the excavations in the outer fields of the village and the archeological finds unearthed there. In the storms of history, the village got destroyed several times. It hardly took more than a century that the settlement created its attractive and special character. With the appearance of private ownership in the lives of the ancestors, their future was established. It turned out to be a wise decision that the original Hungarian dwellers living scattered in the area, and the Slovak resettlers arriving from Békéscsaba chose to live in Medgyes, situated by the railway line between Arad and Csanád. By the early 20th century the municipality had grown into a trading and industrial centre, virtually playing the role of a market town.

It was in those years that the tradition of intensive gardening, as well as that of the growing of tobacco, peanut and melon started. They still are the main driving forces of local economy. On the other hand, the people of Medgyesegyháza were not spared the two world wars or the events and social changes that followed.

What happened at Medgyesegyháza twice in the lifetime of one generation is nearly unique in the Carpathian Basin: from 1888 onward Slovaks from Békéscsaba arrived here to join the Hungarians, then, in 1947, Hungarians were resettled here from Gúta, a village in the region called Csallóköz. By interweaving their lives and respecting each other's cultures, they have set an example of peaceful co-existence.

E-mail: medgyes@oroshaza.hungary.net