National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Mátészalka [¤]
Click to zoom

Mátészalka

(The County of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)

The coat-of-arms is a shield gules pierced flanche-wise. In the base a triple-pointed mound vert. On the prominent middle part of the mound a crane argent statant on its sinister foot, holding in the raised dexter foot a stone. In the middle chief a five-pointed open crown verdured or.

Mátészalka is located in northeastern Hungary, in the county of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg, at the meeting point of the sand dunes of Nyírség and the low-lying swamps.

As early as the 10-11th centuries, an extended inhabited area was to be found on the site of today's Mátészalka. In the early Middle Ages the settlement consisted of two villages, Máté and Szalka. Contemporary documents relate to it as a market town (oppidum) from the late 1400s onwards. Urbanization speeded up in the last quarter of the 19th century, when an up-to-date agricultural firm began to operate, railway lines were built, and the region's trade and agriculture developed. It was here that in 1888 the first electric lights in the country were switched on.

After the Treaty of Trianon, Mátészalka became the seat of what was left from the comitat of Szatmár-Bereg-Ugocsa. This period is considered as a quarter of a century of spectacular development in the town's history. Following the second world war, the settlement remained the seat of the county until 1950, but then it only functioned as a district centre and a municipality. In 1969 it was raised to the rank of town. As a reward for its dynamic and successful activities in the field of urban development, Mátészalka was granted the János Hild Memorial Plaque in 1981.

The town of nearly 20,000 inhabitants is often mentioned as the capital of Szatmár, since it is the economic and cultural centre of a region of approximately 85,000 inhabitants. This role is further justified by the settlement's status as a hub, where five railway lines, two trunk roads and several secondary roads meet.

The swimming pool utilising the 58°C thermal water has been in operation since the 1960s. Recreation in the summer is made possible by the two pools with thermal water and the 33-metre-long sports pool. The cart and coach collection housed by the Museum of Szatmár is unique of its kind. Visitors and residents in Mátészalka are catered for by more than 1,200 entrepreneurs, 200 shops, seven restaurants and four hotels. The three primary schools have 2,300 pupils, and the 3,100 students of the four secondary schools can choose from a wide range of educational specialisation.

The regional hospital, which has recently been modernised, has a capacity of 485, and in-patients are treated by 86 specialists.

In the western part of the town a 100-hectare industrial park with full infrastructure is the headquarters of many companies, including the Carl Zeiss Hungaria Optical Ltd, the BUCHMANN-MOM Ltd, the MOM Vízméréstechnikai Rt (Hydrometrical Company Ltd), the Sandra-Form Bútoripari Rt (furniture factory), and the Szalka Kárpitos Rt (upholstery). There is still an area of 38 hectares waiting for investors. In the spring of 1998 the local authority won the title of industrial park with regard to this area.

One of the most remarkable touristic spots of the town is the decorative fountain dedicated to the seven tribal chiefs of the conquering Magyars, which was inaugurated in the millecentennial year, on 20 August 1996. It is a work of art by Lajos Bíró, a local sculptor.

In the theatre of the cultural centre an annual 20-25 performances are held by various theatrical companies and local amateur groups.

As regards its location, Mátészalka is the touristic gateway to the Szatmár region boasting untouched natural beauty. Both the Rumanian and the Ukrainian borders are within easy reach, the former being at a distance of 30, the latter 50 kms away from the town.

E-mail: msz.1887@mail.matav.hu

mszkh@mail.matav.hu