National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Martonvásár
Click to zoom

Martonvásár

(The County of Fejér)

The heraldic description of the settlement's coat-of-arms is as follows:

In a blue blazon there is a paschal lamb standing on a green base and holding a scarlet banner in its foreleg. On both sides of the lamb there are golden wheatears growing from the soil. A silver ploughshare and a knife coulter can be seen above the head of the lamb.

History of the coat of arms:

Although the exact time of the origin of Martonvásár's seal is not known, it was probably made in the reign of II. Joseph when a market town privilege was given to the village. This seal served as a model for the arms of the village. In the 80s of last century Gustavus Altenburger was the one, who drew the plan of the arms probably for the first time.

Presentation of the lamb supposedly refers to the protestant origin of the Brunszviks, the banner originally was a war emblem and later it became a triumphal symbol, the wheat-stalks, the ploughshare and the culter refer to the outstanding agricultural value of the village.

History of Martonvásár:

The most ancient remains of a settlement in this area are dated from Bronze Age, but Celtic and Roman remains and an Avar burial place have been found here as well.

The first written record connected with the history of Martonvásár is a document from about 1268 which mentioned the village by the name of Villa Forum Martini (the village of Martin's Market).

Before its ownership went to the King the village was owned by many different noble families. During the medieval period the settlement had a very important role in the transport of Hungary. Before the Tartar invasion one the most important road going to Esztergom (the so called "Baranya road") crossed the village, and after the Tartar invasion the importance of Buda-Martonvásár-Fehérvár route increased.

By the end of the Turkish occupation of Hungary the village had been completely destroyed.

In the 1700s the King gave Martonvásár estate to Alexander Beniczky and his wife.

Between 1758 and 1761 the estate was leased by Antal Brunszvik who bought it later. During his ownership a flour - mill and many other buildings were built here and the swampy area was reklaimed.

In 1789 the village was given the status of a market town.

In 1893 Martonvásár was owned by archduke Joseph who sold it to the progressive thinker Dreher family, the brewers who lived in the village during four generations.

The Brunszvik mansion was built in 1784-85.

Many famous people, for example Beethoven, Francis Erkel, Michael Liszt, Michael Deák and Louis Batthyányi were entertained here.The kindergarden of the village built in 1883 still exists.