National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Martfű [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Martfű

(The County of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok)

The town of Martfű is situated in the county of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok, on the left bank of the Tisza River.

Its coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a rounded base. In the field or a griffin sejant sable, armed gules, the sinister wing displayed, the dexter abaissé, queue reflexed to the dexter wingtip, raising in the dexter forepaw an orb argent, and ensigned by a triple-pointed crown sable. The golden field of the shield evokes the wealth of the region. It reflects the scales of the carp and crucian living in the one-time waterworld, the glittering lights of sunset, as well as the golden wheat of the fertile land, and the colour of its sparkling beer and sunflower oil.

The symbolic value of the silver orb is immeasurable. It expresses perfectness, harmony, infinity, continuity and peacefulness - that is, all the characteristics that any human settlement wishing to lead a happy life would need. In the case of Martfű it also evokes the predecessors from the prehistoric age, from the ancient world, and from the age of the great migration, who found their home in this region. The orb also refers to the mediaeval village that was already mentioned by the name of Marthfew by a written source in 1467, and which was first owned by the Chapter of Csanád, then by the Földváry family. Later the settlement paid taxes to the Turkish authorities at Szolnok before a Tartar raid eradicated it in 1658. The devastated land was in turn possessed by several landlords until, at the turn of the 19-20th centuries, its economic potential was once again recognized. Development gained momentum, the stages of which were as follows: first it became a farm centre, in 1950 it was organized into a village, further developing into a municipality in 1970 and finally, in 1989, it was raised to the rank of town. The orb as the most perfect spatial form includes an internal universality, while the silver colour signifies the intellectual features of progress, education, arts and the schools aimed at the intellectual development of future generations, the presence of amateur groups and choirs, as well as the esteem of physical education and sports.

The guardian of the town is the griffin, a mythical creature combining all the good characteristics of the lion, king of animals and those of the eagle, ruler of the air. In addition, the griffin is also the guardian of gold (referred to above) against one-eyed giants, and is capable of bringing the heroic figures of tales back from the other world. Thus was he able to repopulate this settlement once turned into a wasteland. This is why the griffin can also be the patron of traffic and transport, and this place is an important hub for roads, railroads and waterways; what is more, even the possibility for air traffic could be exploited. Another attribute of the griffin is that it is able to turn the wheel of fortune, which fact can well be illustrated by the town's history. In Christian symbolism it embodies strength and wisdom, and at the same time it refers to the duality in Jesus Christ, manifested by his both human and divine nature. As a special reference to Martfű, it is a reminder of the years 1994-5, when two churches were built in the town. King Stephen I is held in great reverence by the locals. In the orb of his spectre there is a lion sejant in a similar posture to that of the griffin. This motif might have inspired the creation of the griffin as the charge in Martfű's coat-of-arms.

The crown is the symbol of the settlement's self-government and autonomy.