National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Máriapócs [¤]
Click to zoom

Máriapócs

(The County of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)

The coat-of-arms of the town of Máriapócs, designed by the graphic artist Vilmos Kovács and approved by Képző- és Iparművészeti Lektorátus bears: azure, on a base vert the basilica with a quill pen in the dexter chief, an acacia leaf in the sinister chief, and a stylised flower in the base, all or.

For three hundred years, Máriapócs has been one of Hungary's most famous places of pilgrimage. It was the miracle of the weeping image of the Virgin Mary that played an essential role in the settlement's becoming a holy place, and this was also the reason why the one-time wooden church was replaced by the basilica of today. The history of the miracle goes back to 1696 when, during the holy liturgy, one of the local peasants noticed with alarm that on the iconostasis picture of Madonna and the Child the Virgin Mary was shedding tears and her face was showing pain. The congregation soon learnt about the miraculous event, and on the following day a large crowd gathered in the church. The Roman Catholic parson of the neighbouring village Kálló raised the dying child of an officer close to the picture. The moment the child touched the weeping image, he immediately recovered. The overjoyed mother lay a ring with gems in front of the picture, whereby she became the first among the worshippers of many centuries who have gratefully revered the Virgin Mary of Pócs ever since. On the first occasion, the weeping of the picture lasted with interruptions from 4 November to 8 December. When Leopold I, Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary was informed of the event, he ordered the Bishop of Eger for the picture of the Weeping Mary to be taken to Vienna. While the miraculous picture was on the way to the Austrian capital, many copies of it were made, one of which was brought back to Máriapócs, the place of origin. Like the original one, the new picture also began to weep, the first time in 1715, when it shed tears on 1, 2 and 5 August. To investigate the event, a committee was set up, which concluded that by the Virgin's miraculous tears the church had for a second time become a sacred place. It was in December 1905 that the picture wept again, this time for a whole month with minor interruptions. The fact of weeping was verified by a joint committee of secular and ecclesiastical experts, who declared that the weeping had actually taken place. In 1948 Pope Pius XII raised the holy church of Pócs to the rank of basilica. This was the way how the shrine of Máriapócs with its famous picture of the Virgin Mary became a decisive factor in the lives of those who dwell here, exerting a great influence on their present and future alike.

The first documented mention of Pócs goes back to 1280. The area used to be a crown property, and later also belonged to the Báthory and Rákóczi families. In 1816 it was raised to the rank of market town and obtained the right of holding fairs, a status kept until 1872. From the early 18th century onward, the national and international fame of the place has been due to the fact that it became a place of pilgrimage. This is the reason why the Basilica Minor, the dignified, decorative Baroque church, plays the central role in the life of the settlement. It was the repeated weeping of the picture of the Virgin Mary, kept in the basilica, that brought fame to Máriapócs. The white building of the Roman Catholic church of Gothic origin next to the basilica is also a remarkable piece of architecture. In 1794 Basilean monks came to settle here. Their monastery was to become the centre of Greek Orthodox education and culture. It was here that the first college of education in the comitat Szabolcs trained schoolmasters and cantors for a century. Until the 1950s Máriapócs was a significant religious centre, whereas recent years have witnessed large-scale development, including the regaining of the rank of town in 1993.

Contrary to other settlements, this holy place of the Virgin Mary with its churches, the monasteries of Basilean monks and nuns, the museum of ecclesiastical history, and the pilgrims' hostel under construction boasts such characteristic features and atmosphere that are extremely favourable for those who wish to be absorbed in their faith and in quiet worship. A remarkable day in the life of the settlement was 18 August 1991, when Pope John Paul II came to Máriapócs on a pilgrimage. The papal mass celebrated in the presence of hundreds of thousands of believers and broadcast all over the Christian world spread the fame of Máriapócs as a place of pilgrimage. To commemorate the papal visit, the new bronze gate of the basilica was made and, on the venue of the pilgrimage, a memorial park was established, in the middle of which there stands the gigantic wooden statue of Christ.

Máriapócs, a settlement now known all over Europe is located in the southern part of the county Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg, at a distance of 280 kms from Budapest, and 30 kms from Nyíregyháza. It is easily accessible on the road and by rail alike. The small town with excellent infrastructural background has 2,200 inhabitants. It awaits visitors to the Nyírség region with the historical atmosphere of its town centre, the nicely laid out streets lined with flowers, as well as with hospitality and a variety of services.

Máriapócs is visited by a great number of tourists. Believers come to revere the Weeping Mary on every single day of the year. On the occasions of religious holidays and patronal festivals, as many as 7-800,000 people turn up at the town. Ever increasing is the number of tourists wishing to spend several days at Máriapócs, where they are offered hospitality, and a wide range of facilities for entertainment and leisure. The local pensions and the nearby hotels are able to cater for any demand with regard to eating out and accommodation. Further facilities for tourists include sightseeing in horse-driven coaches, riding on horseback, camping, the hiring of bicycles and tents, and various sports activities such as tennis or hunting. Visitors are also awaited by permanent art exhibitions, a good library, a museum of ecclesiastical history, various concerts, the performances of the local stage school, as well as tradition-cherishing programs. For the young there are places of entertainment with music and dance. To please children and their parents, the local pastry shop produces the best ice-cream and cakes of the region. The tourist bureau organises touristic programs and cultural events in the whole of the county to the guests' utmost satisfaction.

Pictures:

01. Greek Orthodox Devotional Church – aerial view

02. Greek orthodox Devotional Church – inner yard

03. Greek Orthodox devotional Church – camp altar

04. Shepherd play

05. Roman Catholic Church

06. Mayor’s office

07. Primary and primary art school

08. Kossuth square

09. Woodn headboard

10. Pápa square

11. Pápa square

12. Petri street

13. Dr. Pál Bacsóka street

14. Leisure park

15. Fishing pond

16. Leisure park