National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Makó [¤]
Click to zoom

Makó

(The County of Csongrád)

"The coat-of-arms of Makó is a spade shield azure bordered or, in base a field vert in fess. The central feature of the coat-of-arms is a cross or fixed to the field vert by a simple headband. Surmounting the limbs of the cross a snake vert ondoyant contourné, hissing at a moon decrescent argent. The cross is surmounted by a raven argent. In sinister base a crane argent, next to it two bulrushes vert."

"Whether the town did have a seal of some kind before 1555 we do not know, but I think, says Károly Tagányi, it did not have one. This is the very first, for Makó was only a village ... throughout the Middle Ages, until as late as 1526 ..." However, it cannot be ruled out that the seal of the landlord survived in the coat-of-arms of the settlement. This was probably the case with Makó.

No print of the original coat-of-arms of the town has survived. Based on a document we know that when the Turks in 1597 burnt the settlement, the church, the parsonage, the town hall, the municipal and the ecclesiastical archives, as well as the coat-of-arms were all destroyed. After the Turkish menace had gone, the sealed stamp was remade. This is the one to be seen on some letters of 1615 and 1617. The beginning of the 19th century was a troublesome period in local politics, in which even the coat-of-arms became a target of political struggle. In 1815 there were several seals; one for everyday use, another one used by the leader of the community of wine-growers, and a third one with a legend reading Sigillum Oppidi M Privilegiati (seal of M market town of privileges). Finally, a new seal was created with a legend reading THE SEAL OF THE TOWN OF MAKÓ 1819.

The movement related to the town's coat-of-arms calmed down before the millenium. In 1889, the question of interpreting the coat-of-arms to be observed on the seal was raised by Mayor Miklós Major.

The Heraldic Association not only did the analysis, but had Nándor Malahovszky draw and paint the coat-of-arms, which was necessary for the making of the new seal. Based on Tagányi's description, the use of the seal and that of the town's colours (red and blue) were authorized by the Minister of Internal Affairs. In the late 1960s a special movement related to heraldry was launched, which also affected Makó. In about one and a half decades, within the framework of a new movement, the restoration of the town's historical coat-of-arms was initiated by the museum and the Ferenc Erdei Society. This time it was the renowned artist and native of Makó, István Szekeres, who was commissioned to design it. Both the commissioner and the artist agreed that restoration must be based on the town's oldest coat-of-arms. By this concept, Tagányi's design with the dove had to be modified, for on the earliest version a crane was standing by the cross surmounted by a raven. Also, the cross was fixed to the ground by a crown-like headband and not by two poles. According to the rules of heraldry, the birds have to turn to the same direction.