In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a pointed base. The principal charge is the martyr St Lawrence, holding in the sinister hand a palm branch symbolising his victory by martyrdom, in the dexter hand an iron grid referring to the way of his martyrdom.
The shield is tinctured azure, with the martyr`s figure statant on a ground vert in the base. The charge is tinctured argent, the head and the aureole round it are or, the palm branch is vert, while the iron grid is sable.
The coat-of-arms of the town of Lőrinci originates from the second half of the 18th century. At that time the settlement`s central position became firm, indicated by the fact that a salt office was located in the village. The seal bearing St Lawrence with the iron grid and the palm branch, the attributes of his martyrdom, has also survived from that period.
The seal bears the legend SIGILLUM LŐRINCZIENSIUM. In order that the heritage of the past is preserved, the figure of St Lawrence is also borne on town`s coat-of-arms, the dominant colours of which (azure and or) are to be found on the town`s flag as well.
Lőrinci is a small town of 6300 situated on the right bank of the river Zagyva, at the place where the Mátra Hills and the Great Hungarian Plain meet. The historíy of the town goes far back in history. It was a populous place as early as the Prehistoric Age; archeological artefacts include finds from the Bronze Age, as well as from the period of the Avars and the Great Migration of peoples.
The name of the village as well as that of its church in the form of Ecclesia de Laurencio was first mentioned in writing in 1267. In 15th century sources the name occurred as Lewrinci. During the centuries that followed the village and Selyp puszta (manor)changed hands on several occasions. Selyp puszta used to be an independent settlement throughout the Middle Ages. According to inventories by the Turkish Treasury Lőrinci soon became integrated into the Turkish part of Hungary, while Selyp got depopulated and later on it was only referred to as manor.
After the expulsion of the Turks the area was directed by the Hungarian Treasury and it became part of the Hatvan estate, and fromthat period onwards the two land possessions were bought and sold by the same contract. In the second half of the 18th century the central position of Lőrinci was further strengthened, which fact can be proved by the existence of a salt office in the village.
The present-day architectural monuments were built in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Roman Catholic church of Lőrinci was erected in 1695, then it was rebuilt in 1773 by Countess Grassalkovich.
The main characteristic features of the church renovated in late Baroque style are the wooden pulpit in the style of Louis XVI and decorated with golden and silver ornaments, as well as its Baroque benches. The parsonage building behind the church was built by Antal Grassalkovich in 1771 and it was rebuilt in 1773. Next to the church an old cemetery can be found the history of which goes back to hundreds of years. Since 1963 no burials have been allowed here and today it is a park of reverence. The Baroque chapel on the other bank of the river Zagyva was erected in memory of the plague of 1723. The chapel, a place for pilgrimages, was consecrated to honour St Anne. The tradition of commemorating the patron saint's day has been kept alive up to now. The building of the Tornyai Schossberger castle is the most dominant one in the town. It is situated in the northern part of Lőrinci and is surrounded by a spectacular park. The building of the castle today houses a secondary grammar and a vocational school. In addition it is also a popular venue for youth camps in the summer.
The development of the settlement was given momentum at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries when larger-scale industrialisation started. Many industrial plants were established in the northern part of Lőrinci. The steam mill was opened in 1881 while the Selyp Sugar Works Ltd. was founded in 1889.
The Hungarian Vulkán (Volcano) Cement Works Ltd came into being in 1908.
Apart from these Lőrinci could also boast a stone quarry, a cheese factory, a brick factory, and a tile factory. In the early 1940s the Mátra Regional Power Plant was built in the southern part of the settlement.
Due to the above mentioned industrial units the former layout of the village, that is one row of houses along the wide main street, was changed and the town structure became more complicated.
During its history Lőrinci used to belong to the countiees of Nógrád, Szolnok and Pest. Today, from 1950 onwards it has been part of County Heves. Lőrinci, playing a decisive role in the region , was raised to the rank of town in 1992. The town centre is the area around the church. The town's northern part is Selyp with its industrial plants, while in the south Lőrinci borders on the parks and the housing estate of the Mátra Regional Power Plant. The pond nearby is a favourite spot for anglers, and, in addition, it has a popular beach and a campsite awaiting bathers and tourists.
The infrastructure of the town is well- developed, furthermore it has an efficient network of educational and cultural institutions. The keeping of the traditions is the task of the local history museum, founded in 1992.
Apart from preserving the town's importance as a regional centre, the local authorities are attempting to strengthen Lőrinci's small town and green- belt characteristics.