National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Létavértes [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Létavértes

(The County of Hajdú-Bihar)

Létavértes, a settlement in the county of Hajdú-Bihar, came into being in 1970 by the unification of Nagyléta and Vértes.

Its coat-of-arms is a spade shield erect, with base curved to a point, at base parti per fess gules and azure. In upper field (chief and fess) gules a man-faced crescent argent, foreheaded to the dexter, surmounted by an arrow argent in pale, headed toward the top between two six-pointed stars or. In base azure a coulter argent pointed to the dexter, edged upwards.

Across the top a helmet argent lined gules, bordered and barred proper, round the gorget on a ribbon sable a medaillon gules. Helm is crested with a five-pointed open crown (two pearls between three verdures), gorged with rubies and sapphires.

Mantling: dexter azure and or, sinister gules and argent.

This coat-of-arms came into being by the combination of the seals of the two settlements within one shield. The symbols emblazoned in the field gules are likely to have been taken from the seal of Nagyléta, granted to the settlement in 1609. In the beginning its charges were a moon decrescent and a six-pointed star. By 1787, the moon had been changed into an increscent and the arrow shooting upward had also appeared. In the first half of the 19th century the moon was again changed into a decrescent, but it was also transformed into a human-faced celestial body.

After the Austro-Hungarian reconciliation of 1867 the seal was used in its present form, which was officially adopted in 1914. The coulter in the field azure was borne as a charge on the seal of Vértes, created in 1722 and justified by data from 1770.

According to an appraiser, this coat-of-arms speaks for itself.

The village of Nagyléta was mentioned as early as 1229, in an entry of the Váradi Regestrum; later it belonged to the castle of Bolondóc. King István V (1270-2) bestowed it on treasurers of the crown, the sons of Furd and Farkas. In 1291 it was owned by Kozma from the clan of Gutkeled, then in the 15-16th centuries by a number of noble families. The village church and parson can be justified by data from the end of the 13th century, while its custom house from 1520. It may have gained its seal together with its privileges as a Haiduk settlement. The half-moon indicates the vicinity of the Turks and of the Transylvanian borderland (a vassal to the Turks), whereas the star refers to the progress of the local inhabitants, or perhaps the settlement's functioning as a trading centre or customs point. The arrow heading for the sky might have been added to the charges of the coat-of-arms when the church was being rebult (completed in 1790), as an indication of the people's desire to be blessed. The field gules also fits into the general concept of the blazonry, since the name of the settlement comes from either the word leto meaning summer, and thus evoking the heat of bright sunshine, or from the word Luta (meaning wild, ferocious, merciless), which was a personal name.

Vértes is also an old settlement; it had a church of its own as early as the 14th century. In the 15th century it was the possession of the Csire (Chyre) family from Álmosd, then in the 16th century it was owned by the Szakolyi family. During the Turkish reign the area got destroyed and depopulated, and it was only at the beginning of the 18th century that it was resettled. Yet in the 17-19th centuries it was owned in turn by over a dozen landlords. The coulter emphasised the agricultural character of the settlement, and the colour blue fits well into this concept, since the original meaning of the name Vértes might have been 'shield maker' or 'shield bearer'.

The graphic representation of the town's coat-of-arms was designed by István Bói, while its earlier description was given by Miklós Nyakas.

The coat-of-arms of Létavértes is a fine example of how to keep traditions.

Pictures:

1. Town Hall

2. The waterside slaughter-house

3. PIREMON Recreation Centre and the horse farm