National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Lengyeltóti
Click to zoom

Lengyeltóti

(County Somogy)

Lengyeltóti's coat-of-arms, a military shield erect, bears: azure, on a triple mound vert a unicorn salient argent, langued gules and unguled sable, holding in the dexter forepaw three ears of wheat or, and hanging in the sinister forepaw a two-leaved bunch of grape, all or.

Lengyeltóti is situated in a beautiful valley sorrounded by gentle slopes 12 km from the Balaton. It was first mentioned in the establishing letter of the monastery of Almádi by the name Villa-Tout. Later it appeared as Thoty, Thothy. During the Middle Ages it was owned by the Lengyel family. Its church was built in the second part of the 12th century, though the first data about its priest date from 1426. The census at the beginning of the 18th century mentioned only 20 houses. From 1871 to 1950 Lengyeltóti was the main town of the district.

The railway station of the town was built in 1896. From 1932 passengers were carried to the station by buses. In 1977 Lengyeltóti was declared a large village. It formed a common council together with seven villages, though later several of them became independent again. Lengyeltóti has been a town since 1992. Its agriculture has been famous since the begining of the 19th century.

That time baron Ferdinánd Fechtig had 300 Arab horses, 400 cattle, and 12,000 sheep. In 1895 Badacsonytomaj was the only village that had larger vine-lands than Lengyeltóti. The blooming agriculture resulted in the spreading of bourgeois customs and changed the face of the town. After 1945 the population was employed by the three agricultural farms. Besides the field growing of plants, vine and fruit growing and livestock keeping were also significant. As a result of the privatization in the 1990s, a part of the former big farm has become possessed by employees Nowadays the most famous is the Furioso horse - breeding of Pusztaberény (it has had a known stock-farm since the 16th century). The attraction of the town is the holiday resort Kék Tó with a surface of 26 hectares, where a three - star hotel, bungalows, camp, fish-pond, restaurant, bar, and gaming room are available. It is worth visiting the former Zichy-castle (it is a hospital today) and the monument church that was built in the 12th century and has been enlarged several times since. The renovation in 1995 uncovered its 12th century relics. The wonderful stone crucifix that is standing at the end of the cross road is nearly thousand years old.