In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Shield erect, party per fess; partitioned with a horizontal line, base is rounded. Chief party per pale. In sinister chief azure three ears of corn or are borne, a motif, which refers to the agricultural characteristics of the settlement. In dexter chief gules a sycamore tree or. This charge is a reminder of the settlement’s pride, its several-hundred-year old sycamore tree. In base vert and field vert the depiction of the village’s Árpád-age church argent, an architectural monument is borne.
Laskod is located in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County, at a distance of 45 kilometres northeast of Nyíregyháza. It lies between the so-called Rókás Hill and the storage lake of Laskod. Today the number of its inhabitants is 1135. It is the northern corner of the settlement, where the picturesque Vajai Brook is running into the storage lake. The area of this settlement of Central Nyírség is 1359 hectares and it was inhabited quite early in history. Archeologists unearthed Roman-age coins in the area of the village. It is also supposed that an earthwork used to stand in the area, as it is attested by the existence of a regularly shaped artificial mound in the centre of the village, which is surrounded by a deep ditch. Several similar formations can be found elsewhere in the outer fields of the settlement.
The brief history and development of Laskod from the 13th century up to now can be described as follows.
The settlement’s name is likely to go back to a person’s name of Slavic origin: Lasko, Laszko and eventually Laszkod. In 1283 the village got mentioned as Laskud, then in 1384 it was registered by the name Laskad. The first inhabitants settled down here in the 13th century. According to a document of 1283 it was King Stephen V who bestowed the village on Bailiff Illés Bagdai. At the beginning of the 14th century Laskod went into the possession of the Kállay family, who pawned it around 1490. In 1321 the owners of the village included István, László and Mihály, sons of Mihály of Ubul of the Balogsemjén clan. In 1326 its owner was called Ábrahám, this is why for some time the village was called Ábrahámlaskoda. In 1411 the small village was already losing importance, then in 1427 King Sigismund bestowed it on János Kállay. In 1513 Laskod was known as a deserted settlement, a fact, which was referred to in the name of the village, since it was then called Pusztalaskod. Contemporary owners included the members of the Vay and Ibrányi families, as well as Katalin Zathy. Somewhat later the Csermel, Jármy and Kércsy families owned the estate. In 1785 Laskod was registered as the property of Sándor Jármy and the village had 418 inhabitants in that period. 64 families lived in 56 houses in the village at that time.
The history of the settlement also includes some interesting stories. It was here for example that the Hungarian poet Mihály Tompa (1817-1868) got acquainted with his muse-to be, Katalin Böszörményi and later he wrote several poems to her. (The best known love poems include Reconciliation, In the Grove, To a swallow, Confession, Sunflowers, To my Love and Love).
Zsigmond Móricz (1879-1942), the famous Hungarian novelist included one of the locally heard stories in his novel Forró mezők/Hot Fields. It was in the summer of 1928 that he visited the village. His friend from the Faculty of Theology of Debrecen, Péter Görömbei took him to the Jármy mansion, where he got acquainted with Mrs. Béláné Jármy and they corresponded with each other for a long time afterward.
The emblems of Laskod’s self government include the settlement’s coast-of-arms and its flag, both of them are symbols, which refer to the history of the village.
Laskod is a plain settlement, but its Árpád-age church features fragments of valuable 13th century frescoes and details of 14th and 17th century paintings of figurative and floral pattern.
The village church was built from stone during the reign of Hungary’s Árpád-age kings and the building was completed in the 13th century. Following the Reformation of the Church the building was taken over by the Calvinists and the church serves as a Calvinist church nowadays as well.
In the 1990s an extensive research was carried out in relation to the church and its 14th and 15th century frescoes. On the basis of their findings historians, architects and art historians were able to determine the consecutive periods of the construction of the church.