In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Triangular heater divided by a bar argent. On the background of the field azure the seal charge of Lábatlan from the 12th century is displayed (the tower of Lábatlan). The description is the following: pointed tower argent, with an arched gate sable and a loop-hole, also arched, in which a gun-barrel facing dexter can be seen. The spire above it is gules.
The background gules of the other field bears a typical Roman cross-barred watchtower proper (the tower of Piszke) made up of beams. The sources mention only the part in Piszke as the camp inhabited by the Romans, but not the village of Lábatlan. The watchtower described above forms the most characteristic and strongest feature of the camp along River Duna. In harmony with the symbol of the other tower, it gives an overall view.
The bend sinister argent symbolises River Duna, the most ancient and most determinant geographical unit.
On documents found on attics often appears a seal with the legend: ESZTERGOM VÁRMEGYE LÁBATLAN KÖZSÉG, and the date 1907. The coat-of-arms in the middle of the seal: on base azure a triple mound vert with a tower.
This seal is the proof of the fact that not only noble families, towns and countries could have a coat-of-arms, but even a village living from agriculture. Moreover, they could have a coat-of-arms not only at the beginning of the 20th century but even earlier, as the latest archival researches report:
A seal of Lábatlan is known from the 15th century which also contains a coat-of-arms. Description of this: in a pointed base shield, on a triple mound a pointed-roofed tower with closed gates is borne. Above it from a loop-hole a gun-barrel facing dexter. On top of the shield a helmet open, borne affronté with a coronet and mantling. Issuant from the coronet two eagle wings with a six pointed star between them. Around it the motto LÁBATLAN FALU PECETI (pecsétje) is borne. This is the short history of the coat-of-arms of Lábatlan. It was in use from the 16th century until the middle of the 20th century. What does it symbolise? It is unknown. We can only know that our ancestors used it when even they did not know about its origin.
The description of Lábatlan
Lábatlan is situated in the northern part of the county of Komárom-Esztergom, on the left bank of the river Danube, next to the highway number 10. It is a town with 5414 inhabitants stretching onto the northern limbs of the Gerecse jebel. From its slopes there is an astonishing view onto Danube and to Slovakia, on its opposite bank. The town consists of two parts: Piszke and Lábatlan. The formerly two villages were united in 1950 under the name Lábatlan. Lábatlan lies along the railway lines Budapest-Vienna and Esztergom-Almásfüzitő. Highway number 10 runs through it, which determines its allurement, commercial and other prospects of the village.
Lábatlan is an industrial centre and therefore it has always provided major employment opportunities. At the moment the employment in Lábatlan is 110.1% based on the proportion of locally occupied and locally inhabited active earners.
The underlying forces determining the lives of people were, and still are, the workplace opportunities, which are mainly provided by the local factories. Apart from the three large factories – Holcim Hungária Rt. (Holcim Hungary), Piszkei Papír Rt. and Pfleiderer Vasbetonipari Rt. (Pfleiderer AG) – there are 301 smaller concerns in the Lábatlan at the present.
The infrastructure is fully developed on the whole territory of the town. The sewer-system covers 54.7% and the gas main 47.7% of the town.
The gas main system and the sewer-system had been built in1994.
A modern sewage operates with a capacity of 1500 m3/day.
The institutions are either base suppliers or advanced.
In the town there are two kindergartens and two schools, which satisfy the basic educational requirements. Apart from these there is a night grammar-school for workers and a field conservatoire school. The local government has built and administered a modern clinic on the main road in the year 2000. The rural health centre generated the urbanization of the town centre. Apart from primary health care there is a possibility to consult one of the seven specialists, and they provide other services as well (e.g. ultrasound, physiotherapy, remedial gymnastics and massage). People with disabilities can easily move about the premises, in the year 2000 the centre was awarded with the title “Akadálymentes épület” (building without obstacles). The services of the health centre are available to the inhabitants of the neighbouring village, Süttő (2034 residents).
In September 2004 the construction of a building with 18 apartments has been brought to an end.
The monument building of Lábatlan is the Calvinistic church from the 15th century. Its characteristics are the Gothic elements and a multiangular apse. Its present form evolved after severe reconstructions in 1849.
The water supply canal and the sewer are under the responsibility of Hétforrás Kft. (its name means: seven springs) residing at Lábatlan. Its name reveals that it provides these services in seven settlements: Nyergesújfalu, Lábatlan, Bajót, Süttő, Bajna, Mogyorósbánya and Tát.
Our town is under constant development; its inhabitants are characterized with an eternal desire to do something and also with a sense of duty. Respecting the past and cherishing tradition, as well as aspiring to create a better, brighter and happier future deeply impregnates their actions. The village was elevated to a town in 1st July 2004.
What is Lábatlan renowned for?
All three factories make products that are well known all across Hungary and even in a number of European countries. Piszke Papír Rt. produces among other things the well-known paper-products known from the commercials. The cement works was opened in 1868; it has been producing cement and doing the lime-burning. Today the cement production is done in Holcim Rt. and Lafarge Aragonit Kft. does the lime-burning. Pfleiderer Vasbetonipari Rt. makes concrete.
The celebrated natural treasure of the town is the most imposing chalk-cliff of High Gerecse, the Denevér cave (Bat cave), which is the longest of the caves of Gerecse, at the southwest side of the protected Pisznice, located next to the lime-pit that has been exploited for centuries. In August 1996 a skeleton of a giant crocodile was found in one of the deserted caves of Pisznice mountain. The 4 metres long, 180 million years old skeleton was the sensation of the year for palaeontologists.