National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Kunszentmárton
Click to zoom

Kunszentmárton

(The County of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok)

The coat of arms depicts teh town's name-giving patron saint, Saint Martin, on a blue shield of archaic design. In the design Saint Martin is seen in a suit of armor, seated on a white horse. He wears a red cloak, a color for which, in heraldic terms, is symbolic of valor and bravery. A green meadow is also seen. Sitting in the meadow and reaching toward Saint Martin is naked beggar. Saint Martin shares with the beggar a portion of his own cloak which he has severed with his sword.

In addition to the main scene of Sain Martin and the beggar, the shield is abundantly encircled with leaves of gold, silver, blue and crimson. It is completed by a five-pointed goldcrown decorated with gems. The appearance of the town indicates a privilege extended to the territory of old Nagykunság. It symbolizes the so-called collective nobility' of the territory. As can often be seen in similar heraldic devices and coats of arms, the design depicts one of the virtues of the noble knight. In this case, the Kunszentmárton coat of arms, the shield examplifies the noblest of knightly virtues: protection of the weak and outcast.

History:

According to archeological finds the area has been inhabited since the ancient times. Finds discovered in the region date back as far as the Stone Ages, but a rich treasury from the Bronze Age and Iron Age have also been found in the vicinity of the town. Kunszentmárton was populated during the reign of Árpád. Its name was first mentioned in written form in 1212, as "Mortun falu". Although the village was heavily damaged during the Mongol invasion it soon repopulated and began to play an increasing role in the trade and politics of the region.

After the unsuccessful siege of Eger, the village was occupied and burnt down almost entirely by the Turks. Unfortunately, in 1591 the village was finally destroyed and it became uninhabited for some 100 years. As the Turks were expelled serfs and craftsmen moved in from neighboring villages. In the first decades of the 1700s the village started to revive under the patronage of the Orczy family. In spite of the great losses caused by the 1739 plague, the population of the settlement doubled within half a century. This time economy was based mainly on animal husbandry and trade. In 1784 a Roman Catholic church was erected and in 1806 a bridge on the Körös river was constracted. The village held weekly and four national fairs.

After the fall of the 1848 War of Independence major industrial developments began and the size of farmland increased. Parallel to the decrease in the size of meadows the significance of animal husbandry dropped. Unfortunatel, in 1870 the village was hit by phyloxeria, destroying most of the vineyards.

Several residents participated in the First World War and many have lost their lives. According to the 1930 census the economic life of the village was prosperous between the wars. Electricity was installed in 1923 and the openin of the railway line gave a new impetus to the urbanization process of the settlement. During the Second World War the village suffered great losses again. Following WW2 the population slowly increased again, many new buildings were constructed and industry became more dominant in the area. The first agricultural cooperative was formed in 1949. Health care and education was reorganized, trade and infrastructure was further developed.

In 1950 Kunszentmárton became a district seat with its own village council. Due to its well developed infrastructure, in 1986 the village was raised to city status.

Sights

The most important sights of the town are Roman Catholic church erected in Baroque style in 1781, the parsonage built in 1766 and two chapels from the late 19th century.

Attractions also include war memorials of soldiers who died in the 1848 War of Independence and the first World War. There are several buildings in the settlement preserving the features of local architecture.

The closeness of the Körös River and the rich faune surrounding the town offer great possibilities for the development of tourism.