In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok)
Kunhegyes is an old settlement in the county of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok, near the left bank of the River Tisza, on the banks of Kokot-ér. The terrain, the ethnic groups that live here, as well as the way of life all provided decisive motifs for the settlement's coat-of-arms.
The coat-of-arms of Kunhegyes is a shield erect bordured or, pointed at the meeting point of the fess and the base, the latter being curved to a point. In the field azure on a triple mound vert a he-goat climant argent, armed gules. Across the top a three-pointed crown verdured or, adorned by two pearls, with five rubies in the headband and one ruby in the verdures each. The crest is a demi he-goat argent, armed gules, in fact the repetition of the charge emblazoned in the shield. The scarves are gules and argent on the dexter, and azure and or on the sinister. (It is to be noted that, according to a description dated 1880, the scarves are azure and or on the dexter, and gules and argent on the sinister.)
The town's coat-of-arms belongs to the category of canting arms and refers to the time when, following the Mongol invasion, the area was settled by Cumans and Jazygians, who raised sheep and goats. The settlement's contemporary name was Kakat (Kokoth), as proven by a document dated 1299. Philologists warn scholars against originating this name from Turkish or Iranian roots and, based on a datum from 1420, which relates "Kokat, or also by the name of Hegyesegyház" (Kokath alio nomine Hegeseghaz), they derive it from the Slavic word kakat (meaning kakas
In 1299 the settlement was the scene of arbitrary action, while its first owner was Palatine Dózsa known from 1311. The settlement's church could have been built after this date, and in 1325 it was already referred to as completed. During the Turkish reign it paid tax to the nahije (Turkish administrative district) of Szolnok and Balaszentmiklós, then it was ravaged by kuruc (Hungarian) and labanc (Austrian) troops. The Calvinist congregation of Kunhegyes had its own church built in 1766. Later, the settlement became a market town, then it was permitted to have an elected council of its own, and finally it was raised to the rank of town. This progress is symbolised by the armed he-goat climant, the one-time most characteristic breeding stock of the region.
This symbol is meant to express the residents' attachment to their native land, their parochial spirit and efforts to make their beloved town prosperous.