In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Description of the settlement's coat-of-arms:
Shield erect, its base curved to a point. Top of the shield is adorned with a five-pointed ducal coronet with a ruby stone in its centre, gules. The motif of the coronet is to symbolise the outstanding role the ducal branch of the Wenckheim family played in Körösladány.
The colours of the shield: or in the chief and azure in the base. The tinctures are to symbolise the sunlit landscape and the vast surfaces of water which surround the village.
In the centre covering areas from both fields a fish hauriant is borne, entwined with a floriated scroll. The colour blue is a reference to the past, when the greater part of the settlement was covered with waters before the rivers got regulated. In the period of great floods the inhabitants found shelter at places of higher altitude.The fish used to be the heraldic charge of the Barsa clan, a motif, which then went down to their descendants, the members of the Nadányi family, who possessed the settlement of Körösladány for over 500 years.
The charge of the fish also refers to the main source of living for the local inhabitants, since, due to the geographical location of the settlement it has always been rich in fish. 'Once a harpoon is plunged into the water, it will always come out with a fish on it', wrote Sándor Szűcs in his Sárrét Papers.
The floral pattern is borne as if embracing the fish, signifying that this area has always been rich in reed and sedge. A red ribbon runs across the lower third section of the shield with the name of the settlement inscribed in it. This charge has a mere decorative function.
The municipality of Körösladány is located at the meeting point of the River Sebes-Körös and of the trunk road No. 47, which links the northern and the southern part of Eastern Hungary. Its distance from Békéscsaba, the county seat is 40 kilometres. The settlement was a crossing place for centuries and has always played the role of a logistic centre in the smaller region.
The first written mention of the settlement goes back to as early as 1067. The deed of foundation of the Zást Abbey refers to Körösladány by the name Ladan as an uninhabited place. At that time it was not inhabited on a permanent basis. Finds from the Stone,- Bronze,- and Iron Age and objects from the period of the Roman Empire have been unearthed in archeological excavations and they all refer to the fact that the area was inhabited as early as the ancient times. Körösladány is one of those settlements which was continuously owned for centuries, from 1220 to 1720, by members of the Nadányi family. The settlement got destroyed on several occasions and its permanent inhabitants settled down as late as 1712.This was the time when the history of the modern settlement began. In 1720 the village was given as fief over to Baron János György Harruckern, court deliverer, and later it was inherited by his ancestors, members of the ducal branch of the Wenckheim family. They built a noble mansion at this place, which in 1803 got into the possession of the baronial family of Merans. In 1822 a Catholic Church was built nearby. The Calvinist church of the settlement was completed in 1776.
Lajos Tüköry was born in Körösladány, who, when the war of independence of 1848/49 was put down, was among the first Hungarians to support the Italian war of independence and having joined the Hungarian Legion he served as lieutenant colonel. He died in the siege of Palermo on July 6, 1860.It was Garibaldi himself who delivered the oration at his funeral.
The settlement is also rich in literary traditions. Sándor Petőfi, the greatest Hungarian poet, remembered his travels on the Hungarian Great Plains in a travelogue. He visited Körösladány as well during his journey on June 10, 1844. He also made a mention of his trip in a poem entitled 'This Is a Waste Land Where I Travel'. Petőfi's poet-friend, János Arany was also related to the place: he took a local legend about an old man called Mark and turned it into the theme of one of his major ballads, entitled 'False Witness'.
The main attraction of Körösladány is the wonderful possibilities it offers to anglers and hunters. In the northern part of the village the River Berettyó meets the River Sebes-Körös, and, while cutting the settlement into two, it flows into the Kettős-Körös. All these rivers, extremely rich in fish, as well as the untouched outer areas abounding in game and other natural resources attract many tourists from abroad as well as city dwellers who want to relax free from care.
Körösladány has 5,400 inhabitants. The most important employer of the settlement is a plant by Henkel Hungary Inc.
The agricultural areas of the settlement are cultivated by individual farmers and by members of the Körösladány Friendship Agricultural Co-operative.
Cultural institutions, including a cultural centre, an open-air theatre, a 15,000-volume library and a cinema play an important role in the life of the settlement. It was in 2001 that due to a decade's hard collecting work the Museum of Local History was opened.
The life of the settlement is enriched by the activities of several civil organisations, among which the Circle Of Former Inhabitants is the most noteworthy, because they support local education.The local Choral Society was established 10 years ago and by today they have already won the nationally famous 'Golden Peacock' award. The Cuháré Zither Orchestra is equally outstanding. Due to the tireless work of the members of the local Village Beautiful Committee, established in 1997, the settlement today can boast nice parks, flower beds and rare trees. The Foundation for the Children of Körösladány, the MEDOSZ Sports Club, the Körösladány Agricultural Club, the Golden Cage Foundation, the Foundation for the Future of Körösladány, the Local Artists' Circle, the Tourist Club, the Youth Club as well as the Foundation for Talented Musicians and Artists in the North Békés Region, all contribute to a lively community life in Körösladány.
The Vésztő-Mágor Historical Memorial Park, the bustard sanctuary at Dévaványa, the medicinal baths, the Soczó Motorcycle Museum as well as the Print Museum at Gyomaendrőd are all easily accessible from Körösladány.