National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Kocs
Click to zoom

Kocs

(Komárom-Esztergom County)

Shield erect, with the base curved to a point. Shield party per pale, in chief and fess dexter a ram proper, looking out of the shield. In base the coat-of-arms of the House of Árpád, party per pale, argent and gules.

In sinister field tinctured or a cart proper is borne.

An ear of wheat proper in the base also belongs to the coat-of-arms of the settlement.

Both the ram and the cart are referring to the explanation of the settlement’s name. According to traditions – based on the memoirs of Bonfini – the type of the cart produced from the 15th century was named after the village.

The name of this village must originate from the word: „kos” (means ram in English), which fact is proved by the figure of an ancient seal. On its present territory the ruins of a Roman settlement have been uncovered. After the Turkish invasion it became the property of József Esterházy. One of its attractions was the mineral spring (containing magnesia salts) named after Matthias Corvinus. The light coach developed here – first mentioned in 1518 – is more famous. The name coach (in Hungarian „kocsi”) changed a bit during the years, for example for „kutsche” … etc., but today in several languages the world still means car (in Hungarian „kocsi”). Its catholic parsonage – originally built in Baroque style – is a historic monument, after itsreconstruction it has the characteristic marks of the neoclassic style. Today about 2800 inhabitants live here.

Wappen der Gemeinde Kocs

(Komitat Komárom-Esztergom)

Der Name der Ortschaft stammt wahrscheinlich vom Widder (kos) ab, was sich durch die Abbildung des einstigen Siegelabdrucks zu bestätigen scheint. Auf dem heutigen Gebiet der Gemeinde wurden Spuren einer römischen Siedlung entdeckt. Nach der Zerstörung durch die Türken wurde die Siedlung Besitz von József Esterházy. Interessant ist die nach Mátyás Corvin benannte Bitterwasserquelle, aber noch bekannter ist der hier erfundene leichte Wagen, der erstmals im Jahr 1518 beschrieben wurde und als Kutsche und ähnlich in mehreren Sprachen noch heute "kocsi" (Kutcshe oder Wagen) bedeutet.

Historisches Denkmal ist das barocke katholische Pfarrhaus, das nach einem Umbau des barocken Herrenhauses ein klassizistisches Äußeres zeigt. Die Einwohnerzahl der Ortschaft bträgt ungefhr 2800.