National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Kisújszállás
Click to zoom

Kisújszállás

(County Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok)

Kisújszállás is a Great Cimanian settlement lying on the east border of the Middle Tisza Region. Its height above se level is 89 metres and its territory is 205 square kilometres. The town and its district lie in one of those parts of Hungary which have the driest and the most extreme climate. Kisújszállás has a population of 13,400, most of the active earners are employed in agriculture, most women work in the wervice and light industries.

The area of Kisújszállás has been inhabited for about 4-5 thousand years. There have been constant settlements here since the Middle Ages, six settlements of the Arpadian age were opened up in the last 30 years. The ancestors of the inhabitants were Cumanians who were settled here in the 1200's. The settlements was first mentioned as Kisszállás in a royal document in 1395 and as Kisújszállás in 1470. The inhabitants had to run away from Turkish campaigns several times. The exiling people were accomodated in Rakamaz on the estate of Rákóczi, the reining prince. They returned in 1717 and the years after. The economical prosperity of the district was due to retrieving of the independence and the redemption in 1745. The economical consolidation was indicated by rivercontrol (Mirhódam was built) and by building a church. In 1786 one thousand people of the population of 4000, who lived in bad conditions, moved to the south to Pacsér in the hope of a better life. In 1806 the settlement was given the status of a market-town, by 1872 Kisújszállás was a town with a population of 10.000 and it had a well-ordered council. During the revolution in 1848/49 the Kisújszállás people took upon themselves a lot: they gave soldiers, and accomodated people from Pest and the government travelling to Debrecen.

The well-ordered face of the town, its market-town character was formed during the Millennium. In the recent past there happened considerable developments in the 1970's: housing estates and schools were built, some industrial firms established workshops here. There are 4800 flats in Kisújszállás, they are in good condition and well-provided infrastructurally.

The inhabitants of Kisújszállás made their living on agriculture, and even today many of them find their success in it. There are two agricultural co-operatives in the town. With the compensation the co-operative property was transformed into an alliance of individual landowners. After getting their land, there are people who work as private farmers, there are ones who have a few acres and there are also ones who have some hundred acres. In the fields mostly wheat, barley and rice are grown but growing corn, sunflower, potato and poppy is also considerable. Indian rice is grown on larger and larger areas and it is processed locally. In livestock-farming breeding of swine, horned cattle and sheep is essential.

Kisújszállás has no considerable industry. Most of the bigger industrial workshops were established in the 1960's and 70's as auxiliary companies of some factories in Budapest (eg. FÉKON Clothing Company, the Factory os Therapeutical Resources, Mezőgép - today: CONTAREX Agrotechnika). There are only few individual indsutrial establishments: building -, wood - and iron industries, garment trade and brickworks. The number of enterprises has risen considerably, most of the 700 ones are occupied in retail trade. The number of civil servants is 600.

In the town there are seven nursery, four primary and two secondary schools. In secondary education children can get a certificate of final examination and they have the possibility to get ten kinds of trades. Since 1998 the Móricz Zsigmond High School has been working with the assistance of the World Bank and there is also effectual economical education. In the local cultural life the activity of the Phoenix Choir, the Árvácska Folkdance Group and the '48 Women Choir is essential. The publications eg. calendars are also important in the life of the town. Different communities make the cultural and sport life colourful: clubs, societies, foundations - their number is about 40. There are fishing, karate, motor, horseriding, hunting, shooting, table-tennis and tennis organizations etc.

Tourists can visit the regional house, the ethnographical exhibition, the studio of Lajos Papi where exhibitions of fine arts can be seen, and there are beautiful statues and monuments. The Calvinist church is an art relic and the Town Hall is a very decorative building that was built on the turn of the century in neo-baroque style. It is surrounded with a beautiful park. The building of the Móricz Zsigmond High School was designed by Ignác Alpár in 1894, in the school Móicz relics and the collection of Gusztáv Jermy, a natural scientist, can be found. In summer our guests can have a good time in the open air bath where the water has curative effect and where they can camp.

Our regular cultural - entertaining programs and events are the following: the national horn competition for music schools in every third year, Otto Herman National competition on Biology, the international motor orientating and skillfulness race, the meeting of motorists, the competition of mounted achers, foundation concerts, the Christmas concert. There is a Tourinform Office in the House of Culture in Kisújszállás.

Pictures:

1. The town hall of Kisújszállás

2. The building of Zsigmond Móricz Secondary School, Technical School for Economy, and Student Hostel

3. Townscape