National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Kistelek [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Kistelek

(The County of Csongrád)

The archeological findings of the area around Kistelek prove that the place has continuously been inhabited since as early as the Copper Age.

The town's coat-of-arms is a kite shield erect with a pointed base, in pale per pile versée or and vert. Issuing from the pile or a demi-stalk vert branching into three, each topped with a heart-shaped leaf vert pointing to the dexter, the chief and the sinister respectively.

The golden tincture evokes the settlement's glorious past covering the Copper and Bronze Ages, the Roman and the Sarmatian periods, as well as the time of the migration of peoples, the Middle Ages and more recent times. It also symbolises the extremely valuable hard work, the zest for life of the local inhabitants, as well as the high number of sunny hours in this part of Hungary.

The colour green refers to agriculture, to the facts that the land was for a long time left uncultivated and that the windblown sand was from 1789 onwards bound by forestation. This is also the colour of faith in future.

The alternation of the two tinctures means that the settlement was independent until as late as the end of the Middle Ages. In 1702 it was bestowed on the Teutonic Knights, and in 1732 on the town of Szeged. Following this, it regained independence.

The three leaves symbolise that the number three has gained an almost mystical importance in the life of the settlement. Its soil is grassland, agricultural land and windblown sand, which means that fertile soil, vine-growing sand and alkaline pastures alternate. Thus the local economy is dominated by field crops, fruit- and vine-growing, as well as animal husbandry. Three roads intersect each other here: the one from Budapest to Szeged, the one from Halas to Csongrád, and the one leading to the ferry of Mindszent. The history of the settlement witnessed three major redistributions of land in 1774-8 (one hundred plots of land), 1920-6 (four hundred plots) and 1944-5 (590 plots). During its history Kistelek had communities belonging to three of the major religions: Roman Catholics, Protestants (Lutheran and Calvinist), and Jews. Three ethnicities dominated, namely the Hungarians, the Cumans and the Slovaks. In the town there are three important types of educational institutions: a grammar school, an art school and a technical school specialised in postal services. The inhabitants either cultivated their own lands, or they leased land or were employed as seasonal workers. Later they either remained in agriculture, or they worked locally as wage-earners or they got employment elsewhere as industrial workers. The town's celebrities also represent three major fields: they were artists (poets or sculptors), sportsmen and scientists.

The colour green of the base and of the three leaves symbolises the progress of how the former settlement consisting of separate farmsteads became a larger village (in 1970), then later a municipality (in 1984), and finally a town in 1989. The two golden areas wedged between the leaves take the shape of two ploughshares facing each other. This motif relates to the fact that the majority of the population is still employed in agriculture or in its processing industry; the green stalk might be the symbol of the local cableworks.

The four golden patches flanked by the green field can also be given several interpretations. If it takes the shape of a human face, it can signify the patron saint of the local church, King Stephen, or it may represent the local victims of war, out of whom 326 died in World War I. Or it may be a window that opens from the green space of hope onto a bright future.

The complex of three leaves, like an arrow-head, is pointing to the chief, thus it symbolises the locals' ambitions, their willingness to work for the community and their faith in a better future.

Pictures:

1. The Roman Catholic church

2. The recently renovated police building, opened on 30 september,1999.

3. Sándor Petőfi Primary School