National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Kistarcsa [¤]
Click to zoom

Kistarcsa

(County Pest)

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a pointed base. In the field azure a rooster erect alaisé argent, armed or, raising the dexter leg.

Across the top a barred helmet affronty argent, lined gules and ornamented or, ensigned with a heraldic coronet or ornamented gules and azure.

The crest is an arm proper habited in Hungarian clothing gules, holding three ears of wheat or.

The mantling is azure and or on both sides.

Motto: under the shield on a triple-sectioned swallow-tailed concave scroll alaisé or the motto KISTARCSA in majuscules sable. Before and after the settlement's name an ornamental dot sable.

Only a few archeological excavations have been made in the area of Kistarcsa, but based on what has been unearthed so far it has become evident that the region is rich in historical artefacts. The earliest finds from the New Stone Age (4,000-4,500 B.C.) when supported by other evidence can lead to the conclusion that the area where Kistarcsa lies today has continuously been inhabited throughout history.

On the basis of identifiable remains it was the Celts, the Vandals, the Alans, the Sarmatians and the Avars whose clans established their dwelling places in this particular area.

Due to the decline of the Avar Empire the conquering Magyars found here a rarely populated place, consequently they were able to settle down without any major fight or opposition. Based on the evidence of the archeological site near the cemetery at Kistarcsa it can be concluded that a significant settlement used to exist there between the 10th and the 13th centuries.

The name Tarcsa was first mentioned in 1352 in connection with contemporary landowners, and Kistarcsa remained in the possession of the Tarchai family until 1452. The first document mentioning the area of the present village as an independent settlement by the name of Felsőtarcsa goes back to 1467.

Although the period of Turkish occupation did not require much sacrifice from the inhabitants, during the 15-year war that followed at the end of the 16th century (1592-1606) the village got depopulated.

After the expulsion of the Turks and the failure of Rákóczi's war of independence the Habsburgs led a policy of redistributing the land possessions between their supporters. The new landowners of Tarcsa preferred to see German or Slav settlers to those Hungarian peasants who were just returning to the fields from the war. This is why Slovak settlers from the region of Nitra and Trencsén in Upper Northern Hungary were invited to the village by Prince Grassalkovich.

During thespring campaign of the war of independence of 1848-9 it was at this place that the troops led by Lajos Aulich drew up and soon afterwards they won the glorious Isaszeg battle.

The introduction of railway transport at the end of the 19th century brought significant changes into the life of Kistarcsa. Both the local railway line, and the 30 trunk road that runs parallel with it play a significant part in improving the transport and travel possibilities for the inhabitants of the settlement even today.

The construction of the present Roman Catholic church was begun in 1880 using the old stones of Kistarcsa's ruinous Mediaeval church.

The rapid growth of population at the beginning of the 20th century was due to the Machine and Railway Fitting Factory, founded in 1908, since this industrial establishment had a great demand for labor force. The factory employing 1,000 people had a housing estate built for its own workers on the previously uninhabited side of the railway line. With this step taken the settlement began to grow in the other direction as well; this is why today the trunk road and the railway line divide Kistarcsa in two, almost identical parts.

During the period of the Great Depression the factory went bankrupt and a few years later a smaller but equally fast developing industrial unit was brought about on the same site for the production of threadware. Due to difficulties in privatisation the majority of these industrial buildings are vacant these days.

The housing estate of the factory got into the possession of the Ministry of the Interior in the 1930s and it functioned as a detention camp until 1953; furthermore,.after the collapse of the 1956 revolution many innocent people got carried off here. This place used to be the site of a police academy, a reserve officers' training school, then, following the changing of the political system in 1989 it was turned into a dormitory for refugees and illegal immigrants.

The early 20th century prosperity made itself felt in public life, too.

The Calvinist Church was built in 1928, while the hospice operated by the Lutherans was opened in 1931. At present 30 inpatients are being cared for within its walls.

In the second half of the 19th century, until as late as 1888 Slovak was the language of education at Kistarcsa. Since the number of inhabitants greatly increased at the beginning of the 20th century, a demand arose for new educational possibilities. After the closing down of the factory the housing estate also established its own new school by renovating and converting the former apartments of the clerks into an 8-classroom school building. Following the establishment of agricultural co-operatives many rural families, who did not have lands any longer to cultivate moved to Kistarcsa in the hope of seeking employment in the nearby capital.

To meet the new demand for better education a new school was opened at Kistarcsa in 1971, then, in 1979 a 1,000-bed hospital was built and in connection with this latter institution there was a need for new educational facilities that specialised in medical care.

As a result of these developments a vocational school for health care and a secondary grammar school started to operate.

From 1919 onwards the settlement had its own kindergarten. First it operated for a mere two-year period, then it was reorganised in 1936 and has continuously been educating pre-school age children ever since. Earlier a nursery school also used to operate in the settlement. At present there are two kindergarten buildings and the total number of children in this age group is around 400.

The idea of establishing a library at Kistarcsa was first raised in 1903. At present the settlement boasts a 14,000-volume public library extensively used by those who read for education or information and also by those who simply read for pleasure.

Simultaneously with the electrification of the local railway line the electrification of the settlement also started. Since then the water mains, the local gas distribution system, the sewerage and the telephone cable network have been all built.

The agricultural co-operative used to bear the name Új barázda (New Furrow), then, it was reorganised by the name Szilas. Following the process of privatisation in agriculture, the co-operativeat present operates within the framework of smaller production units.

Public medical care was first organised at Kistarcsa in 1922. Today at the local outpatient hospital four general practitionersare employed to provide medical care for the locals and in addition, a 24-hour emergency service is available as well.. Special needs are catered for by two pediatricians and two dentists. The first pharmacy was opened in 1923 in the village. Today two pharmacies are available for those who need to take medicine. The health centre has been in operation from 1932 onwards.

The administration of the two settlements of Kistarcsa and Kerepestarcsa got united in 1973 by the name of Kerepestarcsa.

Since the two settlements always lived independently of one another, the 1994 census decided that two local governments be set up again.

The 25-metre swimming pool has served the lovers of sports and healthy life of the inhabitants living nearby ever since its opening in 1989.

Two banks operate at Kistarcsa: one is the Országos Takarékpénztár és Kereskedelmi Bank Rt. (National Savings Bank and Commercial Bank Ltd.)and the Pécel és Vidéke Takarékszövetkezet (Pécel and its District Credit Union). In addition to a department store and a shopping centre many smaller shops and three large-size supermarkets serve shoppers in the village.

From the changing of the political system onwards many smaller shops have been opened. At the edge of the settlement an industrial park is available for larger companies to establish their local branches or to expand their production.

The majority of Kistarcsa's streets are paved roads. Two filling stations serve motorists locally and in case of emergency many garages and repair shops are available for them.

One large and two smaller halls serve cultural purposes at Kistarcsa. The annually organised cultural events include a festival of choral music, a folklore and a flower festival, a vintage entertainment and an Advent exhibition.

The local folk dance ensemble can boast international fame and success. There are three choirs at Kistarcsa, and one of them, in addition to their repertory of choral pieces also perform skits and humorous scenes for their audience, especially for the elderly. The local amateur players have already won many prizes at national theatrical festivals. The chamber choir is a regular performer at local festive events. The organisation of cultural life is the task of the local cultural association.

The most popular kind of sport at Kistarcsa is soccer and local fans can support a team playing in the third division of the National League. The athletes and cyclists also have outstanding sportsmen and women in their clubs. The local women's handball team is among the county's best. The junior members of the judo club are nationwide known representatives of this kind of sport, but their are many young people at Kistarcsa who do some form of martial arts, like karate, kobudo iaido or nomad. The local chess players participate in county-level tournaments.

The majority of Kistarcsa's population of 9,200 find employment in Budapest. In order to make the life of the inhabitants easier, local authorities await foreign and Hungarian investors and encourage them to create local job opportunities.

Pictures :

1. The Roman Catholic church

2. World War One Memorial

3. The statue of St Imre