National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-Of-Arms of the Town of Kiskunmajsa
Click to zoom

Kiskunmajsa

(Bács-Kiskun County)

Description of the coat of arms

The conduct of coat of arms is in baroque style, terminated by black final termination.

The coat of arms has dual emblems: green field below, blue sky in the back, in the middle, in the green field a white Christ-lamb, looking back with its head, with glory upon its head, with patriarchal cross symbolizing statehood on its shoulder.

Coat of arms is in baroque golden frame, lilied crown on the top.

The history of fields and today populity of the settlement has been entwining since 1743. Before that time this region was the accommodation place for the Huns, the „Avars” and the Kumans. In the beginning of XVI. Century the Turkish scorched Mayossaszállás, the ancestor settlement of Kiskunmajsa that laid south-east from the today city, and the land was used for avers, rented by the cities of Szeged, Kunszentmiklós, Halas and Kecskemét. After expelling the Turkish, Viennese Court sold „Hármaskerület: Jászság, Kiskunság, Nagykunság”, that earlier had noble privilige, to German Knight Order, and the new owner populated the undercrowded „puszta”. Citizens of Majsa first moved to Üllés puszta near to Kiskundorozsma - the settlers of the new age mainly came from Jászfényszaru – and in the hope of free land-purchasing they moved to Kiskunmajsa in the summer of 1743. Due to the forcing of the Order Parliament the Court made possible to buy back the lands, so those who arrived here had not only the right to use, but also for the ownership, that meant descendants of the Jász and the Kumans got back their privileges, they became their own lords 100 years before abolition of serfdom, they got rid of feudal bonds. The exceptional freedom led to flourishing, democratic life. The long wars of the Habsburgs – austrian inheritance wars and wars of Napoleon – meant financial development for people settled here, who were mainly „jász”, so strongly catholic people. Due to the dynamic development in 1837 Kiskunmajsa received the rank from V. Ferdinand for being market-town, and the right to have markets. By the end of XIX. the population that in the meantime changed from husbandry to farming became overcrowded, the sustainer power of the land was poor, even planting vineries and orchards made no help. Between the two world wars poverty assumed highly considerable proportions, lot of people migrated from the city. This continued even in the ’50-s. In the time of creating cooperatives, after the revolution, 2000 persons escaped from Kiskunmajsa in 3 years. In the center of the settlement, nearby the wooden-tower school, Károly Csontos and his wife Maria Nemes Szabó built a kindergarten and a roman catholic girl-school. These establishments were operated by the poor-sisters of Our Lady until 1950, the nationalization. The school and kindergarten started again in 1991, St. Gellért Catholic School moved back to its original place in 1997, to the building so called Nunnery school. The third school of the city was built in the last decades of the XX. century, this establishment was named after István Széchenyi. Industrialization in the ’60-s, medicinal tourism in the ’80-s stopped migration. Kiskunmajsa has 12000 citizens, that is one quarter less than what was before the second world war. In the meantime Kiskunmajsa received back again the rank of City. The thermal bath and the museum in the city is highly visited. The citizens live mostly from farming and husbandry. There is a secondary grammar school since 1956, which helped to educate the intellectuals at home town.

Sights

Roman catholic church built in late baroque style, consecrated for Virgin Mary, standing in the central square of Kiskunmajsa. Its extension started in 1805, with conduction of Károly Rábel master mason. Works were finished in 1809. Today size of the church was created also then: 50 m long, 21 m broad.

On the outer wall of the chancel there is a memorial tablet and a brazen memorial, made by Ilona Mózer and Károly Barth. The memorial tablet and brazen memorial were made for the 250. anniversary of the settlement.

Konecsni György Local Historical Muzeum is in the City center, on Félegyházi street. There is a permanent exhibition called „Chapters from the History and Arts of Kiskunmajsa” and a memorial room for Konecsni György, the famous graphic artist of Kiskunmajsa, awarded twice with Kossuth-award.

An architectonic value that is in close relationship with the Museum is „tájház” (countryside-house), that is one of the oldest architectonic memorial in Kiskunmajsa. The house, built in 1850 has thatched roof, is three-cleft, middle set-off, with free-chimney. This is a typical architectonic memorial of Kiskunság since XVI. century.

Gergely Pongrátz the commander-in-chief of the area of war of Corvin-alley in the revolution and war of independence moved to Kiskunmajsa a few years ago. He bought the erstwhile school building nearby the national road to Szeged, in Marispuszta. Renovating the ruined building, he managed to achieve his old plan, the Museum of ’56.

The Medical Bath operated by Jonathermal Rt. has 17 years old past. The temperature of the thermal water is 72 °C, and is rich in sodium hydrogen carbonate. This water was a „by-product” of hydrocarbon mining started in ’60-s. Exploiting started in 1983 by the Tourist Department of Jonathán MGTSZ, in outdoor pools. The attractive wooden-structure covered hall was built later. Since May, 2001 adventure-bath: hill-slide, bubble-bath, cave, geyser, boiling, different massage-bath, wild-water path, rocky plashy, water-mushroom makes staying here even more pleasent. Additional to the service of bath, deer guests can choose from refreshing and medicinal massage, solarium, pedicure, manicure.

Accomodation is either in the Motel and Camping connected to the Medical Bath, or in the Holiday-houses.