National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Kiskőrös [* ¤]
Click to zoom

Kiskőrös

(The County of Bács-Kiskun)

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect, pierced flanche-wise, with sloping sides and a pointed base. In the field azure, on a triple mound or a tree trunked proper and leaved vert on the dexter and on the sinister respectively. The middle mound is partly surmounted by a beehive proper. Issuing from the beehive a demi-hart saliant, or, the neck transfixed by an arrow or headed to the dexter. Under the beehive six vine leaves vert, borne along a slightly concaved line in a symmetrical arrangement.

The coat-of-arms of Kiskőrös is incomplete, as long as it does not include a helmet, a crest or scarves.

The colour blue of the shield refers to the national colour of the Slovaks.

The chief motives of the coat-of-arms, by keeping to traditions, are the hart symbolising abundance in game and the beehive referring to bee-keeping, the latter flanked by two ashes, the region's one-time typical species of tree.

In the lower part of the shield, on the golden triple mound symbolising sand dunes, the six vine leaves represent the six farmsteads originally belonging to the settlement, as well as the town's traditional viniculture.

Kiskőrös, a town of 15,500, is situated at 120 kms southeast of Budapest (the capital), on the western edge of the sandy plain between the Rivers Danube and Tisza.

As proved by archeological findings, man's presence in the region around Kiskőrös can be traced down to as early as 5-6,000 years.

The first written document that refers to the settlement dates back to the 13th century. In a charter issued on 26 April 1277 by King László IV (the Cuman), the ancient settlement is mentioned as a place of dwelling by the name of Keurus. The mediaeval Kiskőrös was destroyed in the second quarter of the 16th century by the conquering Turks, and the region itself got depopulated.

In 1691, Emperor Leopold I bestowed Kiskőrös and the six farmsteads belonging to it on the Wattay family, as a reward for their bravery in the fights against the Turks. Since the sporadic resettlement of the place by the former inhabitants proved insufficient for the cultivation of the new estate, between 1717-9 the Wattay brothers called in circa 700 Slovak settlers from the area which today is the Slovak Republic.

The settlement contract is dated 19 May 1718, which marks the beginning of the town's modern history.

Until the middle of the 19th century, the locals were engaged in cultivation and animal husbandry. Then, from the second half of the 19th century, viniculture and fruit growing developed extensively. They still represent one of the major sources of income for the population. Kiskőrös plays an outstanding role in the history of literature, for it was here that Sándor Petőfi, one of the greatest poets of Hungary, and a renowned figure of world literature was born on 1 January 1823.

Pictures:

1. Sándor Petőfi's birthplace

2. The Town Lido

3. Town Hall, with the ornamental artesian well in the foreground