National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Kazincbarcika [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Kazincbarcika

(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

The town of Kazincbarcika is situated on the right bank of the river Sajó, in the county of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén.

Heater erect or, at fess point two bars wavy azure. Over the bars two heater surtouts, under them one heater surtout, all erect. In the field azure of the upper dexter surtout, issuing from a heart argent alaisé a demi-vine plant with a bunch of grapes on both sides, all argent. In the field azure of the upper sinister surtout a ploughshare argent alaisé, pointed to the base and edged to the dexter, surmounted by an oak branch argent with two acorns to the dexter. Hanging from the branch two bunches of grapes argent, flanking the ploughshare on both sides. In the field azure of the lower surtout, issuing from the sinister a dexter arm couped, vambraced argent, holding in the hand a bunch of grapes argent; over and under the elbow a six-pointed star argent alaisé.

The shield is supported by two beasts combatant: on the dexter by a lion proper rampant guardant, contourné, on the sinister a unicorn proper rampant, both standing on acanthus leaves issuing from behind the shield on the dexter and on the sinister. The acanthus leaves are surmounted by a band argent bearing the name of the town (KAZINCBARCIKA) in sable.

This array of smaller shields (surtouts) in the chief shield, unusual as it may be in heraldry, is not unprecedented. Similar arrangements can be found in the 14th-century MOWBRAY'S ROLL collection of coats-of-arms, as well as on the contemporary gravestone of the court painter János of Buda.

The two blue wavy bars symbolise the two invigorating waters of the settlement situated at the northern foot of the Bükk Mountains, the river Sajó and the brook of Tardona, on the banks of which the town came into being from three smaller settlements.

The upper dexter shield is the symbol of (Sajó)Kazinc, which in 1240 was populated by inhabitants of the castle; then, after the Mongol invasion, it was taken over by the members of the clan of Ákos, who later sold it. It was a local nobleman who served as the procurator of Lóránd of the clan of Rátót, while the local priest, paying a considerable sum to the collectors of the papal tythe, was also the commissioner of the Bishop of Eger (1332-5). At the end of the 14th century the area, then called Nagykazinc (written as Nogkazynch) was possessed by Palatine Dénes. Later the queen bestowed it on someone else. In the 15th century it was a market town owned by the Lórántfy family, and was entitled with the right of collecting tax. The inhabitants were famous for their hospitality, which is shown by the heart as a charge in the shield. Their chief occupation was agriculture and especially viniculture, as is demonstrated by the vine plant and the bunches of grapes.

The upper sinister shield is the arms of Barcika, the name of which was mentioned in sources as early as 1213 in connection with a legal case, whereby the horses of Discilon were sold by a villager without the owner's permission. In 1280 two local inhabitants were again mentioned by historical sources. Its church was consecrated to honour the apostles Judah and Simon, whereas its priest János paid between 1332-5 an annual sum of five silver mites to the tax collectors of the Pope. In 1381 the settlement was owned by local nobles. In the 15th century it was divided into Alsó (Lower) and Felső (Upper) Barcika, one of which later got depopulated. The coat-of-arms also refers to the one-time lively agricultural life, especially to viticulture and forestry.

Berente, the symbol of which is the shield in the base, is also an ancient settlement. As early as in 1222, an executive (pristaldus) of the Lord Chief Justice was a local nobleman (Stephanus de genere Zachu de villa Berenta). After the Mongol invasion this village also belonged to the members of the clan of Ákos, but was confiscated by King Charles Robert, who bestowed it on Penthek's son Ugrin. During the Middle Ages the settlement was mentioned by several documents.

During the Turkish rule the inhabitants of Berente, albeit being engaged in constant fights symbolised by the arm clad in armour, kept their faith and hope (signalled by the stars), and went on with their everyday work (signalled by the bunch of grapes).

The colour gold of the shield expresses the wealth and economic boom which began after 1921, when the local coal began to be used by the chemical industry. In 1947 Barcika and Sajókazinc were united. In 1954, after Berente had joined, the settlement received the rank of town. Its industrial plants, first of all Borsodchem Ltd., its schools and cultural institutions, cultural and sports events, as well as its tourism make Kazincbarcika worthy of the rank of town.

The acanthus leaves issuing from under the shield call attention to the wonderful landscape nearby. The lion symbolises the locals' attachment to the place that they live in, their readiness to act for the good of their town and community, whereas the unicorn emphasises the dignity, honesty and openness of its citizens.