National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Kapuvár [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Kapuvár

(The County of Győr-Moson-Sopron)

The town of Kapuvár is situated in Northwestern Hungary, in a region south of Hanság called Rábaköz, in the county of Győr-Moson-Sopron.

Kapuvár's coat-of-arms is a Renaissance shield erect, parti per fess wavy azure and gules. In the upper field azure a castle argent, with a defensive wall protruding on both the dexter and on the sinister sides; on the protrusions three loopholes sable each, placed under each other. Over the open gate, in the upper third of which a portcullis sable is borne, a battlement crenellated with four merlons. Issuing in pale from the middle of the roof gules fully covering the whole fortification a single-windowed demi-tower argent, roofed gules, surmounted by a cross or.

Next to the castle on the dexter and on the sinister respectively, on a staff argent pointed or a flag of the national colours (gules-argent-vert) waving outward. Between the flagstaffs and the castle tower a six-pointed star argent respectively.

In the lower field gules a battle drum argent in the middle, with drumsticks crossed in saltire. On the dexter side of the drum a double-edged sword argent over a gun argent stocked sable; under the gun three cannon balls argent, positioned 1-2. On the sinister side of the drum a war hammer (or battle axe) over a cannon borne reversed, all argent. All the charges are borne alaisé.

The foundation of Kapuvár was due to the ultimate failure of Magyar raids against Western Europe (955) when, according to contemporary chroniclers, for fear of retaliation, the Magyars established a strong system of defensive lines by flooding, by including marshy areas, and by constructing artificial obstacles. The narrow passages through this system were guarded from fortified gates. One of these was Kapuvár (castrum illud, quod vulgariter Capuu dicitur), justified by data as early as 1162, the castellan of which was mentioned by a report sent to King András III (comes Dytricus castellanus de Kopu). The royal castle, together with the lands belonging to it, was bestowed by King Sigismund soon after his coronation on one of his supporters, János Kanizsay and his sons, who were able to hold it at the cost of several feuds (with the Ujlakis and the Rozgonyis, who managed to seize and keep the possession for some time) until the dying out of the male line, when it was handed down to female heirs. The importance of the castle increased again during the Turkish reign; it was repeatedly captured by the Ottomans, but was regained on each occasion. In the meantime, the settlement had become a market town (1558) and the defenders were given strips of land by Ferenc Nádasdy from 1639 onwards. Since he was executed for taking part in the Wesselényi plot against the Habsburgs, Kapuvár was taken over by the Treasury, then it obtained royal charters from Emperor Leopold I (1671-1676). During the expulsion of the Turks and the war of independence led by Ferenc Rákóczi, the town had changed hands several times until the castle was blown up in 1709. This long history going back to many centuries justifies the charge of the castle in the settlement's coat-of-arms. In addition, the red field with the various kinds of military equipment recalls the struggles for independence, the patriotic wars and the blood sacrifice of the inhabitants and landowners: the defenders of the border, the soldiers fighting the Turks, the rebels and freedom fighters, the soldiers in the war of independence of 1848-9, as well as the heroes of the two world wars. Thus Kapuvár is worthy of its coat-of-arms, the creation of which lasted for several centuries.

The town's first known seal from 1641 already bears the castle with the crenellation and loopholes, and by 1778 it also included the portcullis and the two flags flanking the building. At that time the flags were adorned by St Andrew's cross, and in the lower field of the shield party per fess a few pieces of military equipment were to be seen.

The market town was downgraded to a village by the legislation of 1871, but the settlement proudly retained the word mezőváros (market town) on its seal. In the 1880s the waving flags in the coat-of-arms were replaced by single-coloured red ones, whereas the lower field gained its final arrangement with the drum and drumsticks, the sword, the gun and the cannon balls on the right, and the battle axe with the cannon on the left.

The coat-of-arms as it is used today was created by the legislature of 1906-7 (Decree No. 55070/1907 B.M.). This was the time when the golden cross was added to the top of the tower and the red of the flags was changed to the national colours. (Since then the only alteration has been that the six-pointed stars were tinctured gold).

In 1949, the use of coats-of-arms was banned all over the country, but from the late 1960s it was again made possible on certain conditions. In the case of Kapuvár this meant that the castle wall in the upper field had to be surmounted by the communist red star, while the six-pointed stars and the national colours were replaced by the sword, the gun and the cannon from the lower field. The wavy line was widened to become a silver wavy band, and in the lower red field a silver cogwheel was flanked by two silver ears of wheat. Following the political changes, in 1990 the town made a decision to re-establish its historical coat-of-arms, and in 1991 the local authority, by the provisions of By-Law No. 3/1991 (III. 12) ÖKT, reinstated the settlement's old symbol redesigned by the graphic artist István Orosz into its rights.