National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Kaposvár [¤]
Click to zoom

Kaposvár

(The County of Somogy)

Kaposvár is the seat of the county of Somogy.

The town's coat-of-arms is a military shield erect, the base curved to a point. In the field azure on a triple-pointed mount vert a bastioned castle port masoned with ashlars argent, surmounted by three battlements with loopholes. The port is an elevated round arch, in which the keystone and three symmetrically positioned stones of the intrados on the dexter and the sinister respectively are bigger in size. In the port a portcullis hoisted. Issuing from the bastion three towers equal in height, each trellissed with a loophole and crenellated with three merlons.

Across the top a tournament helmet proper at a slant, lined gules, bordered and barred or, round the gorget on a ribbon a medaillon, all or. Helm is ensigned with a five-pointed crown or, adorned with rubies, emeralds and pearls. The crest is a repetition of the bastioned port borne on the shield.

Mantling: dexter azure and or, sinister gules and argent.

The area bordered by the rivers Kapos, Almás and Lupa was already mentioned in the deeds of foundation of the Diocese of Pécs (1009) and the Abbotry of Szentjakab (1061).

In the first half ot the 13th century, on the site of present-day Kaposvár, the Rupuli clan had a castle built by the name of Ujvár in the swamp. Some variations of the town's name were Rupulwywar, Wywar, Kaposwywar. The name Kapos also emerged at the end of the 14th century, when the town hosted a palatine's general meeting. During the 14-15th centuries the castle might have been a remarkable stronghold according to contemporary standards, for it emerged like an island from the surrounding water, which meant great protection.

Yet in 1555 the castle was taken by the Turks, who kept it in their possession uninterruptedly until 1686, owing to its role as a guarding stronghold along the road of strategic importance between Szigetvár and Kanizsa.

In 1702 the castle was demolished at the orders of Emperor Leopold I's war council. From the 18th century the settlement went into the possession of the Esterházy family, the most powerful baronial family of the country. Pál Esterházy entered into a contract with the town dwellers on their dues relating to socage, which made it possible for the settlement, so far being the centre of an estate, to become a market town.

The oldest parish of Kaposvár is the Parish of Our Lady, since 1993 a diocese. Its church can be dated back to 1703. The original wooden construction was between 1736 and 1748 rebuilt of stone. The present-day three-naved church was built in 1885-6 in neo-Romanesque, neo-Gothic and neo-Baroque style.

In 1749 the town became seat of the county, on 23 January 1873 it was given the right to set up a permanent governing board, and in 1929 it got the status of town of county rank.

Although Somogy county's capital is not very rich in historical monuments, its eclectic-style groups of buildings offer an interesting architectural townscape.

The Gergely Csiky Theatre, built in 1911, is one of the country's highest-standard artistic centres of international reputation. The town makes a home for artistic groups well known in Hungary and abroad, while its museum and eight permanent and temporary artistic galleries attract thousands of visitors year by year.

The local painters and sculptors are, through their artistic and educational work, worthy guardians and continuers of the traditions created by Rippl-Rónai and Vaszary.

There are many schools in the town, which has again started to be called 'flowery Kaposvár'. It can boast of a thriving sports life, proved by the National Sports Town Award granted in 1997.

At the general meeting of 1906, King Franz Joseph I permitted and endorsed the use of the coat-of-arms based on the town's old coated seal. The municipality decree of 1990 by the general assembly of Kaposvár's governing body made provisions for the old symbols to be used again.

E-mail: kaposvár@kaposvár.hu