National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Juta [¤]
Click to zoom

Juta

(Somogy County)

The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

Triangular shield azure, chief argent. In field azure a pelican in piety, its wings widespread, feeding her nestlings with her own blood. The pelican’s nest is made of leafy branches, vert and it is borne on cliffs argent. In chief argent two lions gules and rampant are borne facing each other.

Juta’s coat of arms can be interpreted as follows:

The pelican in her nest on a cliff argent is a charge which was taken over from the coat of arms of the Batthyány family of Németújvár and it is a reminder of the fact that the estates of the family at Juta were confiscated by the autocratic system of that period after the fall of the War of Independence of 1848-49. Chief argent with the red lions as charges are symbolical of the settlement’s Árpád-age history and it is a reference to Jutas, son of Árpád, after whom the village got named.

Juta is located at a distance of 7 kilometres northwest of the county seat of Kaposvár. It is one of the fastest-growing settlements in the area.

The village was probably inhabited as early as the period of the Hungarian Conquest, although the first written mention of the settlement’s name goes back to a document of 1284. Juta was very likely to have been the headquarters of Chief Árpád and his clan. The village bears the name of Jutas, one of Árpád’s sons.

In 1284 it got mentioned as an uninhabited settlement, but a few decades leater the papal tithe register of 1332-37 already registered it as a settlement with a church of its own. In 1446 the members of the Marczali family were in the possession of the settlement; in 1481 it became a church property and the Pauline monks were its partial owners. In 1715 the members of the Batthyány family owned the settlement and it was their property until 1849 when their estates were confiscated by the Imperial Treasury. Large part of the settlement was then owned by Count Gedeon Ráday and his descendants.

In the period of World War II there were no fights in the village itself and the inhabitants were not dislocated either. In 1969 Juta became a partner village of Hetes and a joint agricultural cooperative as well as a district school were established. Juta became an autonomous settlement only after the local elections of 1990.

A renowned son of the settlement was István Nagy, a teacher, cantor and notary, who died a martyr’s death during the Revolution and War of Independence of 1848-49. He was a revolutionary, who recruited soldiers and taught the village inhabitants. In the local cemetery, the presumed site of his execution, a monument was erected from public donation. In 1996 the local school and a street were named after him.

The church of the settlement is a listed building, which was erected in the 1700s.

The monument in the churchyard commemorates the victims and heroes of the two world wars.

As part of the millenial celebrations a Memorial Park and a Memorial Column were inaugurated in the village on August 11th, 2001.