In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Nógrád)
Shield erect and gules, in which a stag rampant is borne on a ploughshare; both motives argent.
The charge of the ploughshare with the stag on it is a version of the community’s former seal, which was in use in the early 1800s. The coat of arms of the village of Jobbágyi was created in 1903, and the members of the community kept the main charges of the settlement’s old seal. The ploughshare is a reference to agriculture, to the land itself, which always played a significant role in the thoughts of farming communities. The ploughshare thus is a common motif of the various seals and coats of arms of villages. The charge of the stag is a reference to the nearby forests. The shield was tinctured gules and its main charges, the stag and the ploughshare are argent, both tinctures were chosen on the basis of general heraldic rules. Jobbágyi’s formerly described seal and coat of arms were in use from 1903 to 1945.
The settlement’s brief history can be described as follows:
When travelling on main road No. 21 from the direction of Hatvan toward Salgótarján, the first settlement travellers reach is Jobbágyi, a village located on the southeastern border of Nógrád County. The settlement is situated on the bank of the Zagyva River and the 509-metre high volcanic hill of Nagy Hársas-hegy is also part of the panorama of Jobbágyi. The village of Jobbágyi lies at the southwestern edge of the Hungarian northern range of mountains. The only significant river in the vicinity is the Zagyva river; its rate of flow has become even now, that the water reservoir of Mátraverebély and Kisterenye was constructed.
The area was inhabited as early as the prehistoric times. The settlement’s name, Jobbágyi occurred for the first time in the Registry of Várad of 1229, and it was mentioned in the form ’Jobagi’. As it is attested by research findings the name of the settlement was already widely used from the early 1300s oward and it goes back to the word ’villein/jobbágy’. It is likely that the village was named after those local villeins who belonged to the castle of Újvár.
The old Catholic church of the settlement was mentioned in writing as early as 1693. The medieval church was a two-nave building and it had three main pillars in the centre. The so-called Stréter-mansion was built in the village in 1821 by György Stréter. It was a Classicist building, which later went into the possession of the Bérczy and Apponyi families. It was in Jobbágyi, that Imre Frivaldszky (1799-1870), the famous biologist, a member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, died.