National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Jenő
Click to zoom

Jenő

(Fejér County)

The coat of arms of the village was based on the figures of a signet from 1861 and the fact that it was a village of mansions, as the old signet proves it as well. In the shield in field azure grapevine or between head of horns proper. Around the grapevine there are starlings. The grapevine refers to the leading economic sector of the village, viticulture, the head of horns to game farming. The shield is between leaf-form decorations or, on sinister the top is complemented with leaf gules on dexter with leaf azure. Above the shield a helmet and a crown according to the rules of heraldry.

Head of horns: refers to wood farming, hunting, sylviculture, which was practised here in the woods, nowadays becoming more and more scarce, surrounding the village.

Grapevine: Tamás Schmideg began the grapevine-plantation in 1770, affecting nearly 200 Hungarian acres.

Crown: In the coat of arms of the Zichy’s there are even 3 crowns.

The mantles: The mantle was used to hide the screws and it was woven from pieces of texture of different colours. This mantle became leaf-like as time went by.

The colour symbolism of the shield:

The colours are the fertile colours of nature surrounding us.

Gold: the gold cornfield ripened by the golden sun.

Azure: The clear blue colour of the waters and the fair sky.

Gules: The colour of blood and life

The name of the village came from the name of the Hungarian tribe. According to some authors it already existed in the tie of prince Géza and it was one of the military villages blocking the part of the country, which belonged to the rebelling Koppány of Somogy.

Throughout the Middle Ages it existed as a village, but it was destroyed under the Turkish subjection, although, deriving from the double authority, it always had a Hungarian lord. After the Turks it’s a wasteland for one and a half centuries.

Its recolonization is connected to the grapevine-plantation. Tamás Schmideg, a squatter started this in 1770. Beside the grapevine, the sylviculture was characteristic. The grapevine-plantation was about 63 Hungarian acres in 1828, which grew to almost 200 Hungarian acres in 50 years. Making a village out of the wasteland began by the squatter, Lipót Nádasdy signing an agreement with the grapevine holders of Jenő. This happened in 1857. At the same time, from the beginning of the 1850’s it functioned as a “tax-village”, which only made decisions in financial actions.

The political village-status was granted to Jenő in 1861 from the restored county local government. Obtaining the autonomy of the village was due to the squatter Jenő Zichy of Sárszentmiklós.