National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Jászjákóhalma [¤]
Click to zoom

Jászjákóhalma

(Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County)

The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows:

Shield erect and azure, its base is rounded. In shield a mound vert, on which the figure of an armoured warrior is borne, spurred or. Warrior is wearing an open helm and a medallion around his neck. In his dexter hand he is holding a Turk’s pony-tailed head, in his sinister hand a horn or, flanked by an eight-pointed star or on both sides. Shield is topped by an open tournament helm borne affronté, around the neckpiece a medallion or; above the helm a five-pointed open crown or.

Mantling: on the dexter side azure and or, on the sinister side gules and argent.

The history of Jászjákóhalma can be briefly described as follows:

Jászjákóhalma is a village of 3090 inhabitants and it is located in the heart of the Jászság region on the left bank of the Tarna river. The first people settled down in this area about 8-10 thousand years ago. The archologocal finds unearthed in the region belong to different periods. The most valuable ones include finds from the period of the Hungarian Conquest and the artefacts from the two former Árpád Age settlements which used to exist in the area. The first written mention of the settlement’s present-day name goes back to 1332 or 1357, the year when it was involved in a law suit with Jászberény. In this period Jászjákóhalma was the property of Domonkos Csupor, one of the successors of Governor Csupor. The church of the settlement – part of it, a Gothic chapel still exists – was built in the first half of the 15th century. Later, in 1701 and then in 1778, the church was enlarged and rebuilt in Baroque style until it was given its perent-day form.

The inhabitants of Jászjákóhalma always remained faithful to their village and thus the settlement did not get depopulated in the Turkish period. The inhabitants began to use the fields of Négyszállás, which used to belong to the villages of Dósa and Jákóhalma and they acquired the area as their own property in the early 1700s. In the period of the redemption they purchased half of the area of Szentlászlópuszta of the Kiskunság region and they possessed it until as late as 1873. 129 local villeins acquired land property in this process.

Since the village of Jászjákóhalma was surrounded by Jazygian settlements from all directions, it was unable to add lands of considerable size to its area. Thus trade and crafts became important and local inhabitants mainly lived from these occupations. As it is attested by the notes of Lőrinc Bedekovics from 200 years ago, the inhabitants of Jászjákóhalma took their goods to Pest, Vác, Gyöngyös and Eger. In the first years of the 20th century no significant fair or market was held without the tradesmen of the village of Jászjákóhalma, which was int hat period nicknamed as Smaller Pest. (After Újpest the village of Jászjákóhalma was second in the countray considering the number of its craftsmen.) Urban lifestyle became dominant in Jászjákóhalma and it is still important these days. There are over 100 civil organizations and over 100 private businesses int he village. Its Circle of Local History (1963), is the oldest in the Jászság region. The organizations of local businessmen also play a significant role in village life.