National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Jászárokszállás
Click to zoom

Jászárokszállás

(The Conty of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok)

A man standing in green field wearing Hungarian gala-dress and furcap, keeping horn in his right hand and three arrows in his left one. On the top of the ornamental pale blue shield there is a steel helmet with a double cross on it. There is a half unfurled blue-white coloured flag on the right side of the cross and a bent sword on the left side.

Geography and history of Jászárokszállás

She is located on flat area in the north-western part of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok county, on the border of Heves county. Her loam soil provides ideal conditions for agriculture.

The Gyöngyös, the Ágó and the Szarvágy stream run through the settlement. The town is easily accessible by road and rail.

The area of the town is rich in archeological finds, discovered by excavation. These finds are from Bronze Age, Roman Age, Avar Age, Hungarian Conquest and Middle Ages.

The name of the settlement appeared first in 1356 as Arukmelléke. Later the name of the village was changed several times as Arukmellék szállás (1366), Arokzalos (1528), Árokszállás (1876). Now her name is Jászárokszállás in everyday language. She got her name about the Csörsz-árok, which runs through the north part of the settlement and known about the Csörsz-legend.

The date of the origin of Jászárokszállás is unknown, but her area belonged to the Aba clan in the 13th century and she was given to Dávid Csobánka in 1267 by family sharing.

In 1382 she was known as a populous, Christian, jász settlement.

In the 15th century she was one of the most populous jász settlements, but her boundary was smaller than nowadays, because it was divided up between Ágó and Négyszállás.

During the Turkish domination soldiers, who occupied Jászberény, obtained landed proprety here. In 1572 she was known as estate in fee of Piri-ben-Iszkander, Dsefar-aga, Ali-ben-Abdullach and Firuz-ben-Ali.

In 1562 a band of 120 Turks overrun the settlement causing horrible devastation. By 1567 Árokszállás became almost deserted by robberies and looting. At the same time Ágó and Négyszállás was destroyed totally.

At the end of the 17th century Árokszállás was a populous settlement again. She used the boundary of the ruined Ágó and a part of Szentandrás and Kerekegyháza puszta. At redemption in 1745 she redeemed one third of Szentandrás puszta and Kerekegyháza according to the previous right to usage. In 1756 Árokszállás was given market town position by Mária Terézia.

Jászárokszállás is known as one of the biggest settling villages. From the 18th century she filled obtained area with people step by step. So Kerekegyháza (1862), Jászszentandrás (1855), Jászágó (1952) became independent villages. The resettlement was significant to the near settlements: Csány, Tarnaörs, Visznek, Atkár, Adács, Nagyfüged, Tarnaerk. At the end of the 19th century a number of people settled down in Tápiószele in Pest county and in Transdanubia in Iregszemcsa and Nagylók.

Jászárokszállás losing her jász privilege got to Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok county with other jász settlements in 1876. In 1886 Jászárokszállás renounced her town position and operated as a large village. In 1991 she regained her old town rank.

E-mail: titkarsag.ph@mail.jaszsag.hu

Pictures:

1. The Roman Catholic church

2. Town Hall

3. Külső (Outer) Inn