National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Jászágó
Click to zoom

Jászágó

(The County of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok)

A three-pointed shield erect party per pale azure and argent and a horizontal bar wavy at the bottom in alternating colours. The field azure bears an ear of wheat or, the field argent bears a bunch of grape vert with one leaf, all couped. An open helmet argent, barred, lined gules, gorged or, borne affronté and a heraldry or gorged with gules and azure.

From the coronet a paprika and a tomato plant are borne climbing up on a pole each. Mantling azure and argent.

Below the coat-of-arms in the middle of a triple sectioned, swallow-tailed concave scroll or the motto JÁSZÁGÓ is borne in majuscules sable. The name of the settlement is preceded and followed by an ornamental dot.

Short history of Jászágó:

Jászágó is a small settlement with 750 people, situated in the northest part of Jászság, on the county border. The local history museum preserves artefacts from 5-6 thousand years ago, which prove the presence of humans. In the 12th century as the last wave of European migration Jazygian Philistines found home in the village. They established a rich town and had self-government and captain similarly to other Saxon settlements. The document of King Matthias dated 3 April 1478 confirms the “charter of the Philistines of Ágó given by Zsigmond in 1412”. Ágó suffered a lot during the Turkish occupation. The suffering was not enough…the Turks burnt up the village and the map showed the place as a puszta (wasteland). The majority of the population escaped to Árokszállás, so their history melted into the history of Árokszállás from the 17th century. Lipót I., as a part of Hármas district, sold Ágó puszta to the Teutonic Order. The Small Diploma of Maria Theresa from 6 May 1745, and later its codification in 1751 made the self-redemption of the Jazygians possible. Ágó puszta was present in the Royal Diploma, which was bought for 8000 forints. At the first census of the country (1780-90) there were permanent inhabitants in Ágó: 1 commoner, 1 serf family with 11 members appeared in the registration. In 1840, according to the diocese of Eger, 40 people lived in the village. In 1855, the fields of Árokszállás were consolidated, the lands of the redemptors got their permanent place and the world of farms formed in Ágó. In 1925 the village had 500 inhabitants, and the school that was in the same building with the chapel was consecrated on 21 June. In 1944, 40 houses were in the village. The vine became old, and the people did not plant a new one. Instead they tried horticulture, seed growing and irrigation. World War II demanded many victims, not only from the soldiers who marched in but also from the fighting of the two armies who marched through the country.

The farms had a hard time, families decreased, many illegalities occurred. Cultivation meant life but there were few draught animals. Although people waited for the distribution of lands, only 72 kilohectars were distributed. In 1950 a notary office was established. This year 388 houses and 1554 people were recorded. On 1 January 1952 the Minister of the Interior legalised Jászágó with self-administration and a council. In the next decades the village made a development, then in 1978 Jászágó was declared a village without a role and under the administration of Jászárokszállás. The local board is responsible for the administration. Jászágó became independent again in 1990 and owned a self-government. The settlement had connection with the mother-settlement through the office of the district notary. Since 1998 the local authority works independently with an own notary.

Places to visit in the village:

Local history collection, divided into three parts:

Exhibition of the history of the local school displayed in the school (14. Jókai street), which introduces the so-called “hidden” schools, as well as it guides us to the world of farm schools in the beginning of the last century. The children’s toys are also displayed here.

Archaeological exhibition (2 Kókai square, Jászágó). The artefacts of the cultures are displayed chronologically in glass cabinets.

Ethnographical exhibition (2 Kókai square, Jászágó). Equipments for raising children, providing the family, tools of agriculture, one time peasant and civil clothes are displayed.