National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Jánoshida [¤]
Click to zoom

Jánoshida

(Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County)

The coat-of-arms of the Village: a rectangular shield pointed at the bottom. In field azure the scene of the christening of Jesus: St John the Baptist is holding a dish with oilment above the head of the kneeling Jesus, in his sinister hand holding the stick with a cross. Above the christening scene the bridge of Zagyva as an important crossing place in the history of the village.

Jánoshida is situated in the south-west corner of the Great Plain, in the north-west part of the county of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok. The village is situated 89 metres above sea-level, the annual average temperature is 10,3°C, the average amount of rain is 450-480 millimetres. Its soil is clay.

Not like other settlements by the Zagyva, Jánoshida is found on the right side of the river, 36 kilometres before it meets River Tisza.

In and around the village a lot of archaeological findings were unearthed. The first one was a Neolithic stone axe followed by a Bronze Age axe and several dishes from the Bronze Age. From the age of great invasion the presence of Sarmatas and Avars were shown. Beside the prehistoric findings the excavation of 200 graves and the finding of an Avar double-grave and several Arpadian graves on the Burányi-site has outstanding importance. According to the archaelogists the village was cintinually inhabited from the Avar Age to the Hungarian Conquest and then up to today.

The name of the village changed a lot during the centuries. In the 12th century: Szentkristóf, 1283: Iwanushyda, 1401: Janushyda, 1585: János Hyde, 1680: Jánoshida, 1737: János-hida, 1828: Jánoshida.

According to some researchers the today name of the village was given in the 12th century from John and the bridge over the Zagyva.

In the Topographic History of Hungary by Jakap Rupp we can find reference to the origin of the name of Jánoshida: “…The village, situated on the bank of Zagyva and named after St John the Baptist and the St John statue erected on the bank of river Zagyva, was founded around 1186 with a provotship. The founder of the village as well as the provotship is unknown.”

Based on the fragment of a deed of foundation , Jakab Rupp indicates the founding of the village in 1186. The exact founding date cannot be specified but it is sure that the Premonstratensian provotship existed in the time of King Béla III, around 1186. In the time of the foundation of the Premonstratensian Order the area was a waste-land because the sons of St Norbert liked to settle here. The village around the monastery shaped later. After the settlement the members of the Order built a church to honour St john and they also built a stone monastery next to it. The monastery reflecting power and giving safety attracted people and a slowly growing settlement appeared around the church.

The folk costumes are good examples of the folklore developing rapidly through the centuries. Typical pieces were the “főkötő” (white and black) under the headwear of women, the embroidered bridegroom shirt, the black and white long embroidered felt cloak of Hungarian shepherds and the colourfully embroidered smock-frock.

Among the folklore traditions the noise-making (extermination of vermin) of St George day and Maundy Thursday, the Whitsun accompanied by singing, the Luca pig mummery, the Nativity play, the singing and fair at the dinner of pig-killing were typical but there was also a spirit and shaman belief.