National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Jánosháza [¤]
Click to zoom

Jánosháza

(County Vas)

Shield erect, couped at point, pierced flanchewise, the base curved to a point. It bears: azure, on a ground vert a warrior habited gules in boots or and a high cap crested with a panache, raising in the dexter hand a scimitar or and resting the sinister hand on the hip.

Jánosháza is an old settlement, whose name first occurred in 15th-century documents. However, there is no evidence as to whether the village used a coated seal in the Middle Ages.

According to heraldic and sigillographic literature, the common use of village seals can be dated back to the mid-18th century. The first wax seal of Jánosháza, bearing the date 1756, is in accordance with this claim, although the certificate itself is only dated 1853.

The round seal with a diameter of 24mm bears a warrior surrounded by ornamental decoration, holding in the right hand a scimitar and resting the left hand on the hip. The legend reads JÁNOS. HAZA. W. P. 1756.

Parallel with this seal, the market town used a larger one as well. This round seal of 32mm in diameter bears the same charge as the previous one, but the legend only reads JÁNOSHÁZA.

Jánosháza is located in the southeastern corner of the plain area called Kemenesalja, which was inhabited as early as in prehistoric times. A reminder of Bronze Age dwellers is the Illyrian tumulus to be found in the outer fields of Jánosháza.

During the reign of King St Stephen the area around Jánosháza became a crown possession. The settlement was founded in 1396 by János, a member of the Varsányi (Ormuzd de Varsány) family. Since that time the Varsányi family's branch that lived at Jánosháza called themselves Jánosházy. A highly valued evidence of the ancient religion of the pagan Magyars is the Tanori kapu (gate).

In 1510 Count Péter Erdődy was given permission by the king to fortify his house at Jánosháza and surround it with a wall and a ditch. In 1609 the fortified house, now a castle, had a tower, a clock and a bell. In 1703 this castle was in ruins, but by 1750 it had been rebuilt. The estate had many owners, the more famous of whom were the Garay family in the late 14th century, Pál Kinizsi in 1480, Tamás Bakócz, Bishop of Győr and later Archbishop of Esztergom in the early 15th century, from whom it was inherited by Count Péter Erdődy. Following this, the estate had many other landlords, but from 1758 it became permanently owned by the Erdődy family.

On the basis of the list of names and crafts as well as estate inns and beerhouses recorded in the urbárium of 1776 (document listing the dues relating to socage) it can be stated that Jánosháza was on the way to developing into a market town.

The historical core of Jánosháza was the castle and the part built around the church. It was from here that the settlement grew in the direction of today's Sümegi utca (street) and the market place. The favourable geographical location at the meeting point of roads made it possible that Jánosháza developed into a market town. The right of holding fairs was acquired around 1780 by the landlord, the Erdődy estate. In return for the organisation of the fairs, the landlord gave part of the income over to the village.

The oldest map of Jánosháza dates back to 1772. The urbárium of 1787 lists 224 houses, whereas that of 1795 mentions 239. The church was rebuilt in 1734.

In the 19th century the important commercial routes avoided Jánosháza, thus the settlement lost its earlier importance and rank of town. The settlement reacquired a more important role again only in 1969, when a overall national plan for the development of settlement networks was approved, whereby Jánosháza was able to become a genuine municipality. Four other settlements were attached to it, thus the number of inhabitants exceded 5,000. At present its area of administration is 23.41 square kilometres with a high density of population (130.20 per sq.km.) The number of inhabitants is 2,930. The ratio of non-working-age population is relatively high, especially of those who are over sixty.

Employment data by sectors of economy reveal the dominance of industry. Entrepreneurial activity is dynamic, as compared with that of the neighbouring villages. Foreign capital has also appeared.

Further improvement may be fostered by the recently emerging favourable conditions like the proximity of trunk roads 8 and 84, the utilisation of the thermal water at Borgáta-Mester, and the planned establishment of the Ajka-Sümeg-Jánosháza entrepreneurial zone.

The aims of the near future are the expansion of services and the regaining of the settlement's formerly central role by supporting the middle class and promoting the process of urbanisation.