National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Jakabszállás [¤]
Click to zoom

Jakabszállás

(Bács-Kiskun County)

Shield erect and party per pale, its base is curved to a point. In field azure the figure of the Apostle St James is borne encouped, habited or. On his clothes and in his hands his attributes are borne: a walking stick, a water jar and a shell. In field argent the figure of a Cumanian warrior is borne. He is standing on ground vert, habited azure and he is wearing trousers gules, boots or (yellow) and a fur cap gules. The two figures are raising a house walled argent and roofed gules.The Cumanian warrior is holding a ploughshare or in his sinister hand.. Shield is topped by a five-pointed heraldic crown, or.

The symbolical meaning of the settlement’s coat of arms can be interpreted as follows:

The charges of the coat of arms of Jakabszállás evoke the origin of the name of the settlement as well as its historical past. Jakabszállás was founded by Cumanian warriors who had been called in Hungary by King Béla IV (1235-1275). Before this event the Cumanians had been animal breeding nomadic people. Settling down also meant their conversion to Christianity. The clans and extended families sought out places with churches to settle down. The first settlement in the area of Jakabszállás was founded by the head of a Cumanian large family, who was known by the name Jakab (James). This is how the settlement of Jakabszállás came into being in the vicinity of the market town of Kecskemét, presumably in the middle of the Angevin period of Hungarian history. A document by King Sigismund (1387-1437) granted the Cumanians of Kecskemét and Jakabszállás the right to free movement.King Mathias (1458-1490) granted Jakabszállás the right to hold fairs.

The settlement’s coat of arms is a reminder of this rich and heroic past. The Apostle St. James and Jakab (James), the Cumanian founder of the settlement are borne in it as main charges. Both figures are raising a house, a motif, which symbolises the settlement (szállás) itself. The ploughshare, held in the left hand of the Cumanian warrior is a reference to the agricultural characteristics of the settlement. It is the symbol of the fact that the local inhabitants have made agriculture their living.

The medieval village of Jakabszállás got completely destroyed in the period of the Turkish conquest. Before 1745 the uninhabited area was leased to the town of Kecskemét, then, following the redemption, it was possessed by the three Cumanian settlements of Félegyháza, Majsa and Szabadszállás. The Cumanian warrior in the coat of arms of Jakabszállás is also a symbol of the union and solidarity of the Cumanian settlements. After 1745 the Cumanians were once again granted the right of collective nobility. They were not under the direction of any nobleman but they were placed directly under the authority of the palatine. The Cumanians were to render military services in exchange for their freedom. The crown on the top of the settlement’s coat of arms is the symbol of the one-time freedom and of the close relationship of the local people with the Hungarian crown.

The history of Jakabszállás

The area where the modern Jakabszállás is located was inhabited as early as the Stone Age and the age of the Great Migration. This fact is attested by numerous archeological finds. Archeologist Mihály Párducz, who specialises in the period of the migration wrote about the settlement as follows:

’In the Museum of Kiskunfélegyháza some interesting finds are kept. These are objects fastened to a wooden board and the archeological site where they come from is Fülöpkei-Jakabszállás. These finds represent relics of a multi-grave cemetery, which goes back to the period of approximately Christ’s birth.’

Around 30 B.C. the area between the Danube and the Tisza rivers was occupied by the Sarmata Yazigians. At the end of the 4th century AD they were followed by the Huns, then by the Gepids in the 5th century. It was in 551 AD that the Avars conquered the area. They were followed by Bulgarian and other Slavic tribes

In the opinion of János Homyik after the Hungarian Conquest Kecskemét and the surrounding area became the property of Chief Árpád himself and these lands later were owned by the Kings of Hungary. Due to these circumstances it was the servants of the royal household and court villeins who settled down in this region. Fleeing the attacking Mongol hordes the Cumanians soon followed the Hungarian tribes to the area and they tried to settle down int he area in 1239, but they were expelled by the Hungarians.

After the Mongol invasion of Hungary King Béla IV called the Cumanians back and allowed them to settle down in the area between the Danube and the Tisza rivers. The region became the dwelling place for the seven Cumanian tribes of Borchol, Koor, Jász, Olaas, Ilonchuk, Chertán and Örs. The area of today’s Jakabszállás was the home for the members of the Ilonchuk clan.

The name of Jakabszállás was first mentioned in a document of 1343.

Later, the name reoccurred as Kun Jakabhorhan in another document of 1423, which was issued by King Sigismund. According to research done by Péter Horváth this settlement is identical with present-day Jakabszállás, because in the north Jakabszállás borders on Kecskemét and one place there is called Korhánköz.

The area of Smaller Cumania suffered a lot in the period of the Turkish Conquest. Many settlements of the region got depopulated and the inhabitants fled to nearby market towns. The majority of the population of Jakabszállás also fled to Kecskemét. The town then got hold of the area of the depopulated settlement , so further on the history of Kecskemét and Jakabszállás were very closely related..

The area of one-time Jakabszállás remained uninhabited for almost 300 years. For 150 years it served as pasture for those farmers who lived in Kecskemét. This was also the area of vast forests and pastures until as late as the end of the 19th century. The deep forests offered ideal hiding places for outlaws, with Imre Bogár being the most famous of them. He was born in this area and he got baptised in the neighbouring village of Bócsa. The much dreaded Sándor Rózsa frequently found refuge in the local forests when fleeing from the pandours. It was only in the 1870s that Government Commissioner Gedeon Ráday put an end to the period of highway robberies with strict regulations and measures.

The same period, the end of the 19th century also meant the emergence of the contemporary village of Jakabszállás.