National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Ják [¤]
Click to zoom

Ják

(Vas County)

The settlement's name first appears in a document from 1211, but it may be of much earlier origin. St. George's church built in the 13th century by the Ják clan as well as nearby St. James's Chapel are internationally recognised late Romanesque edifices. The foundation of the clan's castle and donjon, erected in the Árpád Dynasty's period, have recently been uncovered and identified on the site of the former "abbot's house". Several residences built in the 18th and 19th centuries can also be seen in the village. Ják was once famous for its potteries.

The coat-of-arms of the village of Ják can be described as follows:

Shield erect and gules, party per pale, its base is pointed. In its dexter field a vambraced dexter arm is borne as main charge and it is holding a decapitated pigtailed, moustached Turkish head and a scimitar. On the sinister side of the shield on ground vert the depiction of the famous two-towered Abbey Church of Ják, its orders of arches and its stylised facade are borne. Shield is azure and it is topped by a verdured nobiliary crown. Vambraced arm, scimitar and the Turkish head are all argent, the cathedral church is tinctured or.

Ják is one of the most significant settlements in western Hungary, in the vicinity of the town of Szombathely. The ancient, Medieval village is located in the centre of a hilly area. It was in the 18th century that Ják itself and the number of its inhabitants began to grow spectacularly. After the changing of the political system in Hungary the settlement has been undergoing various phases of modernisation. The school building was enlarged with a new gymnasium, sports fields and a whole set of modern changing rooms. The infrastucture is attractively good and Ják has been equipped with all modern conveniences, including gas, electricity, sewage and telephone lines. In the northern and eastern parts of the settlement new housing estates have sprung up. New building sites are established and sold to those who want to settle down at Ják in the future.

The most significant historical monument of Ják is the 13th-century St. George Church, built in late Gothic style. The church was erected on the top of a mound, so the twin towers of the church can be seen from a great distance. The famous arched entrance of the church can be found below the gable. The statues of Christ and of the twelve apostles are seen in the niches above the entrance. The church used to be famous for its masterpieces of painterly art as well, but unfortunately today only some fragments of the old frescos can be seen in the sanctuary and on the wall of the southern church tower. The famous St. James Chapel can be found at a distance of 25 metres from the church. The chapel was built in Romanesque style around 1260 and its present-day form was given to it in the 18th century. Behind the church, in the former dwelling quarters of the Abbot an exhibition hall was established, where visitors can get acquainted with the archeological finds, which were unearthed in the neighborhood.

The residence of the parish-priest and an old dwelling house at 34, Rákóczi Street are also of considerable importance. The other part of the architectural complex serves as a community centre for the members of the congregation.