In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows:
Shield erect and party per fess. Base azure, in which five mounds are borne, vert. This charge is a reference to old documents, which describe Istvándi as a settlement originally built on five mounds.
In chief azure an eight-spoked cart wheel, gules, which, by tradition, is the symbol of the Romany population, because it is a reference to their Indian (Punjabi) origin. The wheel is an ancient symbol still in use in various parts of India.
Chief is party per pale. In sinister chief gules religious motives are borne including a chalice or, which is a reference to the Calvinist faith and a stylised cross or, which is the emblem of the Catholics.
In dexter chief vert the charge of an upward pointing ploughshare argent is borne, which is a reference to the most traditional occupation of the settlement’s inhabitants, that is agriculture. The same charge was borne in the settlement’s traditional seal prints.
Below the shield an arched ribbon is borne with the settlement’s name inscribed in it.
A historical and social background to Istvándi
The first documented mention of the settlement goes back to 1421, the year, when the name of the village first got registered in the form ISTHUANDY. But the settlement itself is much older. As it is attested by the available data from 1332-35 the village had a church of its own and employed a priest in that period. Most recent archeological excavations and finds have pointed out that Istvándi is one of the most ancient settlements of the country and it has a history of several-thousand years. The village was a populous settlement in the period of the Turkish conquest as well. In that period it was owned by the bishop of Pécs, then by the bishop of Veszprém. In the period after the Turkish conquest the settlement was raised to the rank of market town and the number of its inhabitants was continuously on the rise. In 1778 Istvándi was given the right to hold fairs. In this period the village was owned by the Csáky, and from 1726 onward by the Eszterházy families.
The majority of the inhabitants of the settlement belonged to the Calvinist church, but more recently, with the increase of the number of the settlement’s Romany population this trend began to change.
Due to the favourable geographical conditions the inhabitants of Istvándi were traditionally agricultural workers and those who work still live from agriculture.