National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Imrehegy [¤]
Click to zoom

Imrehegy

(Bács-Kiskun County)

Triangular shield erect and azure. Base is topped by a five-pointed crown of fleurs-des-lis or which is borne encouped. From the crown a vinestock or is issuing with two leaves and two brunches of grapes, all or.

The charges of the settlement’s coat of arms all evoke Imrehegy’s history. The village came into being in a typical area of farmsteads which is located between Kiskunhalas and Kecel. The settlement’s first name was Szentimrehegy and it used to belong to the Archbishopric of Kalocsa. Local inhabitants lived from growing wine. The word ’hegy’, the posterior constituent of the settlement’s name was a reference to the fact that the village was a place for growing wine. It was in 1952 that the village gained its autonomy and it was called Imrehegy then. The crown of fleurs-des-lis in the settlement’s coat of arms is a reference to Prince St. Emerich (Imre), whose iconographiocal attributes were the crown and the lilies. The golden vinestock in the coat of arms of Imrehegy symbolises the fact that wine used to be the main source of living for the settlement’s inhabitants.

As it is attested by archeological finds, in the Middle Ages – primarily in the Árpád Age - the area was densely populated, but the area of modern Imrehegy was not continuously inhabited.

Today the inner area of the settlement is 73 hectares and its outer area is 7034 hectares. In the year of the settlement’s becoming autonomous the number of inhabitants was 2100 and they lived on 570 farmsteads, scattered around in a large area.

In June 1961 the entire crop was ruined by hail, and, as a result, 400 people left the village and moved elsewhere.

In 1963 building sites of 400 acres were sold to new settlers and modern houses were built in the village. The local library opened in 1981. Around that time the number of local inhabitants went down to 1007. It was in 1991 that the old dream of the inhabitants of Imrehegy came true: the building of the local church was completed and it was consecrated by the archbishop of Kalocsa.

The inhabitants today mainly live from agriculture. Animal husbandry and the growing of wine are the main occupations of the local people. The number of inhabitants at present is 816. The decrease can be explained by the aging of the population.