National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The coat-of-arms of the Village of Iklódbördőce
Click to zoom

Iklódbördőce

(Zala County)

Pointed base shield erect party per fess gules, argent and azure. On the chief a lion holding a scroll or and argent. In the middle of the shield a bar argent, in the middle of the ground a verdured tree or, on the ground dexter and sinister a ploughshare couped argent.

The village is situated 9 kilometres from Lenti in the western regions of the county of Zala. By motor vehicle one can approach it by highway 75, on the road: Nova-Lenti-Munor. It lies on the railway like Zalaegerszeg-Rédics and it has its own railway station. The settelemnt is in the eastern border of the valley Lenti. In its outskirt unites river Kreka with the stream Cserta, which accumulates the water of this area. The high hill-country of the Zala hill-chain is sharply divided from the river’s tectonic valley.

History

The village is made up of two parts. The western part of the village is Kerkaiklód and the eastern is Bördőce. Formerly both were autonomous settlements, but on 24th February in 1938 they were united and the Home Office assigned the name Berdőceiklód. In 1939 another modification was made after which the name Ilódbördőce came into existence.

The antecedent clause of the name Iklód is a derivative of the ancient Hungarian name Ikol + suffix –d. Bördőce is originating from a Slavic. This village is first mentioned in 1324 as “Burzeulche”, then in 1396 and 1406 as “Berzeliche”. The name of the settlement is presumably of Slavic origin (Brezulica).

Iklód has had a church in 1334. It was consecrated to St. Mark. In 1499 it is listed as an appendage of the castle in Szécsisziget. The territory is the estate of the Szécsi family from Felsőlendva. The Turks have often reaved this territory especially in the period after the fall of Kanizsa. In these times Szécsisziget, Lenti and Kányavár were fortified, picket-fenced places, stone castles, however, the small villages were left defenceless to the soldiers will. The Turks have often captured people. Not even Cserta swamp provided enough security. By the end of the thraldom the two villages basically brought to naught. The church has been completely ruined; this is why it became the succursal church of the Szécsisziget vicarage. In 1703 there were only 7 families. When the archdeacon of Bekcsény visited the village, the church’s ruined tower and the northern wall was all that was left of it. The people have built a wooden church but in 1778, when the new bishopric of Szombathely came into being, the churchman in visit saw a damaged wooden church built on a brick foundation. 137 people were living in Bördőce at that time. The foundations of the chapel that stands today are of the church built around 1811 in honour of St Mark, the evangelist.

The railway stretching in the outskirt of the village, built in 1890, brought significant opportunities for development, new workplaces to home-folks and husbandmen.

In 1930 Bödrőce had 298 inhabitants and Kerikaiklód 367. They were enlisted to the district of Nova. Before the I. World War there were 685 people living in 124 houses on an area of 1964. There was a Roman Catholic primary school with one teacher who was teaching the youth of the village. Except for 3 people the inhabitants were all Roman Catholics.

The II. World War demanded a huge blood-sacrifice from the village: 30 of its soldiers died a heroic death. The Jewish family of five members was hauled to a death-camp never to return. In the outskirt of the village, between Iklódbörce and Csömödér, there is a large catchment basin, which is the favourite place of the fishermen of this area. In the frondose woods of the country the expectation of hunters is satisfied, however, the nearness of a lake is what attacks most of the tourists.

Institutions: 1 community centre, 1 cinema, 1 library, 2 churches, 1 sports ground.

Festivals: Village-day in August.