In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Heraldry description of the coat of arms
The coat of arms is a triangular shield in a standing position. The shield bottom in the undivided shield field and under red tent is cut up silver shawl. There is the silver shawl above a gold crown decorated by silver pearl.
In the right-hand side of the coat of arms, in the blue shield field a silver church tower can be seen. The church tower ends in eight-pointed star. There is that above a human-faced gold Moon sickle.
In the left-hand side of the coat of arms, in the blue shield field a covered partly by the tent growing out green triple hill gold grape-vine can be seen. The gold shoot of grape-vine is spinning round a gold stick. There is that above a human-faced gold Sun.
The coat of arms’ explanation
The village’s coat of arms has three main motive which symbolize three settlement sections considering the rules of heraldry.
The silver church tower symbolizes name of the village giving IGAR settlement section with its Reformed Church.
In the coat of arms can be seen silver shawl /stripe/ symbolizes the near Sió canal and above that can be seen gold crown symbolizes VÁMPUSZTA with Ede Hübner’s castle.
The gold grape-vine involved in the left-hand side of the coat of arms symbolizes VÁMSZŐLŐHEGY. Otherwise the grapes are popular heraldric motive because it is a symbol of biblical origin wealth and profusion at the same time.
In the right-hand and left-hand corner of the coat of arms can be seen Sun and Moon symbolize the man and woman in the Hungarian art. These two heavenly bodies are pagan motives from the Age Hungarian conquest, they symbolize before the conquest historical memories of Igar. The most important of them: the land castle of Galástya, the “avar” chief find and land castle and remains of the Árpád Age of clan.
Summing up it can be told the coat of arms is a telling coat of arms. It refers to triple character of the settlement with its composition. It tells history of Igar, name of Vámpuszta and Vámszőlőhegy and its geopraphical situation.
The history of village
Igar village is situated in Fejér county, on South-West part of Mezőföld and it can be found between the Bozót valley and the Sárvíz valley on loess back. Its outskirts are slashed. Natural endowments of the village are favourable to grape-growing.
Igar has more standing water and streams, too: Rezes lake, Hordóvölgy water level and Igar lake; Bozót stream and Pósa stream.
Its local residents count 1131 ones for the moment.
This village an ancient settlement that first written record dates from 1324 than “IGOR”. There are several theories to the origin of name:
* In Central Iranian language the meaning of “igar” is strong and it must have come to this place than personal name;
* According to the Old German language, the Old Russian “IGOR” comes from “Ingvar” personal name; and
* It could come on Petcheneg’s intervention to this place than a pesonal name.
Therefore Igar originated from personal name.
The settlement consists of three parts today, VÁMPUSZTA and VÁMSZŐLŐHEGY have been also part of IGAR since 1871. There is VÁMPUSZTA 5 mile from IGAR and VÁMSZŐLŐHEGY 10 mile from IGAR. The latter two settlement’s number of inhabitants are 630 altogether.
Besides DÁDPUSZTA (Vámszőlőhegy) and GALÁSTYA (Vámpuszta) also belong to outskirts. Therefore total number of village is 1131 (2003) and unfortunately this number is getting less and less.
Vám village of the Middle Ages was given its name by the near royal customs post.
Its population changes: in 1900 it has 1786 residents, in 1949 had most residents, 2577 men lived here. However number of the local residents had decreased very much after the World War as 1254 was this number in 1990 and 1098 in 2001.
Outskirts of Igar: The settlement’s limits are 10 178 acres (1984) which 7 045 acres are plough-lands and 1 330 acres are meadow and pasture.
From 1900 to 1950 Igar had a common local authority with next Mezőszilas settlement. It is being dericted by Local Authority since 1990.
Historic memorial of Igar: The village is rich in historic buildings and monuments. The Reformed Church in Baroque style can be found in Igar. It was built in 1835 and one of the most significant building in the village.
There is an castle (its remains) was built in Old Baroque style in Vámpuszta that Ede Hübner architect had planned in 1773. A land castle in Bronze Age was found in the outskirts of village (Vámpuszta-Galástya).
Industry and agriculture: The full of population live with agriculture at this time, too. The Craftsmen’s co-operative of Nagydád was established in 1945 and the agricultural co-operative farm of Dádpuszta was formed in 1948. The Dózsa György Farm and March 21 Farm was formed about 1950-60 years. The latter one was combined with farm of Simontornya in early the 1980 years. The main crops were wheat and maize.
The industry also was developed in Igar. In 1881 village’s brick burning factory, in 1900 cheese workshop in Vámpuszta, in 1904 drawer gas motor mill, in 1928 soda water factory and in 1930 dairy began its working. In 1924 economy’s narrow-gauge railway was built between Nyedámpuszta and Simontornya.
After 1950 many people earned their bread in the leather factory of Simontornya and different factories of Ozora.
In 1917 “Hangya” Co-operative society and in 1930 Milk gathering Co-operative were formed. The credit deals were complicated by the savings bank of Cece and Simontornya.
Educational istitutions: From the 1840 years deserted’s schools had been working and with the Reformed School were being worked by maintenance of village to 1930. State primary public schools began to work, in 1928 in Vámszőlőhegy, in 1943 in Igar and in 1944 in Nagydád.
Unfortunately these schools were closed in the 1980-90 years or still earlier. Since then the children have been going to the primary school of Mezőszilas with schoolbus.
General education: Since the 1940 years the population of Igar had been living with more and more cultural and recreation facilities. For example, in 1941 Economic Public House, in 1943 Youth Centre and in 1957 Culture Clubroom and Library established. Different associations also established in the village, the most famous out of them: Civil Reading Society (1896), Reformed Crew Club, Village’s Girl Club, Reformed Choral Society (1924) and Reading Society in Vámszőlőhegy. The “Néplap” was published in 1992.
Public health: Since 1876 midwife of village had been working and in 1900 the settlement belonged to medical district of Cece. There were already local doctor and chemist in 1931, too.
The village become completely independent in 2001 on 1st January, at this time the district notary was wounded up with cooperating neigbouring settlement, Local Authority of Mezőszilas. As this small region is less developed comparison with the rest of the county, the settlement is qualified as disadvantaged through no fault of its. The unemployment rate is extremely high, the national average of 3.68 square. In this way the people have employment problems and rest of them are living in unboastful circumstances and support themselves or their families by different social benefits.