In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)
The town of Ibrány is situated in the western part of the county of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg, in the smaller region called Rétköz.
The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with the base curved to a point. In the field azure on the dexter a sheaf of corn or, on the sinister a Jazygian bream (Leuciscus idus) hauriant or, borne with the dorsal fin to the sinister.
Across the top of the shield a tilting helmet argent at a slant, lined sable. The crest is a demi-hart climant or.
The scarves are gules and or.
Ibrány is a settlement that is closely attached to its traditional symbols, since the charges of its coat-of-arms go back to those of the town's first known seal, justified by data from 1695. Although the dexter side of the old seal bore a six-leaved sedge stem embracing a reed-mace with its leaves, this charge was later replaced by a sheaf of corn bearing resemblance to the original motif. This alteration, whether it was made on purpose or by mistake, was undoubtedly justified, since the settlement's inhabitants mentioned in 16th-century lists and registers mainly produced wheat and barley.
The fish hauriant (swimming in the upward direction) used to be another charge on the old seal, referring to the fact that fishing had for long centuries been an important supplementary source of living in the Rétköz area, by the River Tisza. As early as in the 19th century, one could find several fishermen's associations at Ibrány, each of them employing 30-40 fishermen. The new seal etched in 1908 is fully identical with the blazonry of today's coat-of-arms.
The tilting helmet across the top of the shield firstly expresses that Ibrány was a populous settlement with a church of its own (as proven by data from 1322) as early as in the Middle Ages. (The present-day parish church was built in 1910.) Secondly, the helmet recalls the memory of the local nobiliary landowners (in the 16th century seven noble families lived here). Thirdly, it commemorates the sacrifice of local heroes: the borderline fighters against the Turks, the Haiduk (foot soldiers during the uprisings against the Hapsburgs in the early 17th century), the more than 50 national guards in the 1848-9 war of independence, and the victims of the two world wars alike.
The crest, the jumping golden stag (partly covered) is a motif taken over from the coat-of-arms of the noble Ibrány family, a branch of the Pécz clan from the age of the Árpáds. Thus is the symbol a reference to the name of the settlement.
The naming of the settlement took place according to the practice typical in Hungary in the 11-12th centuries, as long as the origin is a proper name, the shortened and modified version of the name Ibrahim. This is the Islamic variant of the biblical name Abraham, which at that time could have been common in Hungary, for in the period in question a number of Muslims (Magrebis, Kvarezmis, Patzinaks and Volgaic Bulgarians) lived here, although the precise tracking down of their ethnicity is rather difficult. King Kálmán (1095-1116) made strict laws in order to assimilate them. A Muslim theologist called Abu Hámid al-Ándaluzi al-Gárnati, who lived in Hungary for some years in the middle of the 12th century (1150-3), relates that these peoples were living under the leadership of their own chiefs (emirs) and could attend services every Friday at as many as nearly ten thousand sites. Their economic power and influence in the royal court is shown by the fact that when the Golden Bull was issued (1222), the Christian barons had to request a special law in order that these Muslims could not fill the positions of bailiffs of excange and salt chambers, and they could not collect taxes either. Thus it is possible that Ibrány acquired in the 11-12th centuries and preserved for nearly a thousand years the name of an Ishmaelite man, who might have been a minter or might have rented a chamber.
The colour gold of the scarves emphasises that the families who acquired and held land possessions here for a long time emerged almost without exception in support of the king during the reign of King Charles Robert (1308-42), and that the inhabitants have always obeyed the law. The colour red of the scarves refers to the fact that the local people have always been characterised by a kind of revolutionary spirit, rooted in their sense of justice, patriotism and honest self-respect.
The citizens of Ibrány will certainly gain strength from their past evoked by these symbols, in order to join forces in building a happier future.