In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The great plain ("puszta") of Hortobágy has since days of yore witnessed the traditional way of stock-raising, whereby the herd is reared in the open air. In spring, floods made traffic and the transport of goods rather complicated in the area. These are the features that served as a basis for the design of the coat-of-arms.
Shield coupé miparti: parti per fess, chief and fess to honour point parti per pale. Dexter chief and partly fess barry of seven gules and argent. In sinister chief and partly in fess on the mount of a field vert a heron argent passant. Next to the heron's head on the dexter a moon decrescent argent, on the sinister a sun or, rayonnant with twelve rays. In base vert on a triple mount or, mounted on a horse effaré argent a csikós (traditional Hungarian herdsman) habited in wide linen trousers azure, shirt argent, hat, vest and boots sable, cracking a whip with a long lash argent and stock sable. Over the mounted herdsman a bridge or piered nine, sable. The coat-of-arms bears no helmet or mantling.
The coat-of-arms of Hortobágy symbolises the settlement's ancient Hungarian origin and characteristics, the waterlogged and marshy stretches of land (justified by data from as early as the beginning of the 15th century), an excellent place for the waterfowl to nest and for the migratory birds to find temporary shelter. The heron, a determined foe of serpents, symbolises Jesus Christ - especially so as it is borne together with the sun and the moon. These motifs combined express the inhabitants' Christian faith.
The prancing horse and the short-stocked ornamental long whip, the most typical tool of the csikós, evoke the traditional way of life on the puszta, while the most characteristic structure of the region, the Nine-piered Bridge, built between 1827 and 1833, calls attention to the one-time waterways and harsh conditions for travel.
The photos belong to Hortobágyi Kht.