National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Heves [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Heves

(The County of Heves)

Heves is located at the crossing point of roads important since ancient times. In the past it used to be a castle, the centre of a comitat, as well as a market town. Thus the coat-of-arms reflects the memory of nearly a thousand years of history.

The coat-of-arms of Heves is a shield erect, the base curved to a point. In the field azure, on a triple mound vert a lion rampant or, queue fourché, armed or, ensigned with a triple-pointed crown verdured or, raising in the dexter forepaw a scimitar or, and holding in the sinister forepaw three ears of wheat, also or.

The blue field suggests that Heves is a powerful settlement with the church and the one-time nobiliary manor houses in the centre, surrounded by a structure gradually formed by the building together of scattered groups of houses and farmsteads.

The green triple mound indicates trinity in the life of the settlement, which was inhabited in the Bronze Age, during the Great Migration and after the Magyar conquest of Hungary.

As early as in the 11th century there was a castle, mentioned in 1248 as Heueswyuar, standing by Hanyi-ér (stream). Later Heves became the seat of an independent comitat, which had parted from the comitat Abaúj. The settlement itself was first mentioned by written sources in 1203 as a village, and by 1467 it had been raised to the rank of market town. Even if this rank was later withdrawn, the vitality of Heves is proved by the fact that at the beginnning of the 20th century, then again in 1970 it became a municipality, from 1950 a district seat, and finally in 1983 it was raised to the rank of town. The above-mentioned trinity also manifests itself in the settlement's one-time religious life, when Roman Catholics, Calvinists and Jews formed the three religious communities of the place.

The fork-tailed lion is a typical heraldic beast. At the time of the settlement's first mention the lion still occurs in the royal coat-of-arms (the armorial bearings of King Imre from 1202), but later it appears in the coats-of-arms of several local landowning families (the Orczys, Nyárys, Országhs, etc.) as well. The crown on the lion's head refers to the fact that Heves used to be a crown possession and was often visited by kings. For example, in 1271 it was here that King István V summoned the national meeting of nobles living east of the Danube. Around the year 1300, documents relate four district magistrates, which signifies that by that time the comitat governed by lesser nobles had formed. After the expulsion of the Turks (at the end of the 17th century) the area was for some time administered by the Treasury. The colour gold of the lion indicates the wealth of the settlement; in the 1300s the parson of the church consecrated to honour St John the Baptist and the trustee of the archdeaconry (functioning since 1283) paid a considerable sum to the papal tithe collectors, whereas in 1472 one could find here another church, in honour of St Martin. Its bell is still to be seen.

The scimitar is a reminder of the one-time royal castle's personnel (the bailiff, the bailiff's magistrate, the soldiers and officials, as well as the commoners), whose existence can be justified by data from the 13th century. It also commemorates the warriors of the borderline fights against the Turks; in this period Heves was plundered (1558), burnt (1567) and depopulated (after 1583) by the Turks, who then built here a palisaded fortification, which they themselves destroyed and abandoned on hearing about the advancement of the Christian army. Finally, the scimitar also evokes the soldiers of our wars of independence, as well as the local heroes and victims of the two world wars.

The ears of wheat in the lion's paw symbolise the settlement's economic activity, dominated throughout a thousand years by the growing of corn, although viticulture and the production of wine, then later the growing of melon and tobacco were also significant. (Still in 1949, three fourths of the dwellers made their living out of agriculture). In addition, the ears of wheat are the symbols of spontaneous activity, the many-sidedness of which is manifested by the local associations (Women's, Young Men's, Tradesmen's, Building Workers', Construction Workers', Sports Associations, etc.), self-organised groups like the local choir or the Red Cross, as well as co-operatives and chambers, such as the Credit Society or the Chamber of Industry. Finally, the motif expresses the prosperous relationship between Heves and other settlements, including the Italian town of Breganze, Csíkszereda and Gyergyócsomafalva in Romania, and Aalburg in the Netherlands.

The town's coat-of-arms first appeared on a seal from 1755. (The coat-of-arms bears a striking resemblance to that of the county Pest. This might be explained by the fact that after 1552 the county of Heves, which was not subjected to Turkish supremacy, also performed the administrative duties with relation to the county of Pest and the Jazygian-Cumanian districts.