In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Hajdúdorog is a town and a bishop's residence in the northern part of the county of Hajdú-Bihar.
The coat-of-arms is a shield erect, pierced flanche-wise, the base fish-tailed. In the field gules on a ground vert a hedgehog passant, headed and footed or, and spined sable. Above it, issuing from the sinister an eradicated dexter arm vambraced argent, holding in the hand a scimitar bladed argent and hilted or. The scimitar transfixes a Turk's head couped, pigtailed and moustached sable. Above the embowment of the arm, at fess point a five-petalled heraldic rose alaisé or. In the dexter chief a six-pointed star or, in the sinister chief a moon increscent argent.
Across the top a tournament helmet argent lined gules, bordered and barred or; round the gorget on a ribbon a ring, all or.
The helmet is crested with a five-pointed (verdured three with two pearls in between) open coronet or adorned with sapphires and rubies. Issuing from the crown a demi patriarchal cross argent, flanked on each side by a halberd or borne at a slant with a two-winged flag of the national colours (gules, argent and vert) respectively.
The mantling is gules and argent on the dexter, azure and or on the sinister.
The dominant colour red of the shield expresses that ever since the Copper Age the area has continuously been inhabited, but it also hints at the fact that the love of liberty of the local residents has manifested itself in all of our national movements, from István Bocskai's struggles to the fights for freedom led by Ferenc Rákóczi to the war of independence in 1848-9. The colour green of the field refers to the fact that the main source of living for the inhabitants has always been agriculture, featuring the cultivation of arable land, rotational grazing and fruit growing.
The vambraced arm holding a scimitar, the dominant motif of the coat-of-arms, is the well-known symbol of Haiduk warriors. It refers to the fact that in 1605 István Bocskai, in his deed of gift issued at Korpona, bestowed this settlement (formerly belonging to the possessions of the Tokaj castle) on his warriors. In addition, the Turk's head fixed on the scimitar also suggests that the Haiduk took their share of the fights against the Turks.
The hedgehog is a distinct symbol of defence and protection. It evokes that the settlement used to be a palisaded Haiduk stronghold made up of a tower in the middle, a fortified church, a pear-shaped bastion at each of the four corners of the stone walls, an outer defensive line of thorn hedges, and finally an execution site. The core of the town still bears evidence of this circular arrangement.
The golden star in the dexter chief signifies that in the age of the Árpáds the area of today's town included four populous settlements. The one excavated at Kati-dűlő (field) seems to have been unique with a church of its own, several hundreds of graves and a blacksmith's forgery. The name of the settlement is of Slavic origin (drug, meaning friend, companion) but, considering contemporary Hungarian practice of naming settlements, it presumably derives from a person's name. Although the villages perished during the Mongol invasion (1241-42), in 1332 Dorog was mentioned once again as a settlement with its own church, and its priest Paul paid tithe to the papal tax collectors. During the 15-year-war Dorog got depopulated again, but after 1616 it was resettled. The newcomers then were partly Haiduk of Serbian origin arriving from Cuman territories, who brought with themselves their Greek Orthodox religion.
The moon increscent symbolises those factors that contributed to the continual changes in the settlement's life, and which made its renewal possible.
The helmet evokes the memory of the heroes in the settlement's history of one thousand years. Only in the two world wars more than fifty locals lost their lives. The crown is the symbol of local authority. At first (Hajdú)Dorog was a village, then in 1639 it became a market town, which status was lost in 1886; it became a municipality in 1970, and eventually on 8 March 1989 it was again raised to the rank of town.
The patriarchal cross is an emblem of the Greek Orthodox religion followed by the residents, who as early as the beginning of the 18th century set up a church school, later followed by a secondary grammar school and a training institution for church cantors. At the beginning of the 20th century a Greek Orthodox bishopric was established, approved by Pope Pius X in his bull Christifideles Graeci. On the same occasion, the pope raised the local church featuring a magnificent iconostasis to the rank of cathedral.
The halberds with the flags on the one hand express the residents' love of their country and their attachment to the native land, while on the other hand they focus attention on the two-century-long struggle of the local Haiduk to establish Hungarian as the language of liturgy.