In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The county of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)
As a market town, Gönc had a seal, a flag and a coat-of-arms of its own as early as in the Middle Ages. An impressive seal going back to this period of history is still kept in the county archives.
When today's coat-of-arms was being designed and the new system of symbols was being created, we followed the nationwide practice of going back and keeping to old traditions.
The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with sloping sides and a pointed base. In the field gules, hanging from a leaved vine stalk bent in the shape of an S two bunches of grape, all or. (In heraldry, this tincture corresponds to the colour yellow.)
Across the top of the shield an open crown verdured or. The crown refers to the fact that during the reign of the Árpáds, Gönc belonged to and was the centre of the queen's possessions in the Hernád region, thus the crown in fact represents the queen's coronet. The grape indicates that it was here that the borderline of the renowned Tokaj wine-growing region was to be found, and that this activity was also the main occupation of the majority of the inhabitants at Gönc.
The body of representatives had the coat-of-arms of the municipality of Gönc designed in 1992, and it was also approved in the same year.
Gönc is the region's most dynamically developing settlement, the history of which goes back to the period of the Magyar conquest. Although the lands in this region were all owned by Magyar landlords, Gönc itself was a crown possession. In the 1200s the court invited German craftsmen to settle at Gönc, as was the practice in many other settlements. As a result of this, the village became more and more dominated by the new settlers.
After the Hussite movement had emerged, Gönc got into the hands of Giskra's Hussites. The origin of the local museum, the one-time Hussite house by the main road in the village centre goes back to this period.
Between 1570 and 1647, Gönc was the seat of the county of Abaúj and, as a result, it developed into an ever-growing market town. This was the place where local coopers made the renowned gönci hordó (Barrel of Gönc) with a capacity of 136 litres of wine. During the age of the Reformation, Gönc became a cultural centre. It was here that Gáspár Károli, the first to translate the Bible into Hungarian in 1590, served as a minister. He is commemorated by the impressive statue standing in front of the Calvinist church.
Today Gönc is the region's cultural, commercial and health care centre. One of the village's well-known facilities is the cold water swimming-pool suitable for competitions.
The surrounding countryside is ideal for camping.
Listed historical monuments:
local museum (Hussite house), 85 Kossuth Lajos utca
ruins of the Pauline church and monastery (Dobogó-hegy)
former hall of residence with a capacity of 100-200 (full board available)