National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Füzesgyarmat
Click to zoom

Füzesgyarmat

(Békés county)

Vertical, triangular red and blue shield splitted field, which is in the lower part with silver and black wared (symbolizing oil).

On the right side in the red coloured field there is a five pointed golden floating tree of life, willow symbolizes revival and local nature.

On the left side of the blue shield there is a turned inwards silver stork with raised right red leg.

On the top of the heraldry shield a golden (yellow) crown can be found.

Füzesgyarmat large village is situated in the centre of Sárrét in the northern part of Békés county at the border of Hajdú-Bihar and Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok counties. The number of inhabitants are 6.700, but with the non-residents it reaches 7.000. On the outer areas 55 people lives.

Our large village is counted among the oldest inhabited settlement of Békés county. Its certificated document is dated back to 1219, when it was written as Gormot, in 1321 as Gyarmath, in 1479 as Nagh and Kys Gyarmat, and in 1564 it was called Giarmat.

There were a lot of willow in the border of village. By order from Mária Terézia's time the settlement was named Füzesgyarmat, for discriminating this village from the other ones which were called Gyarmat on 1st January 1776.

The settlement won the privileg of supporting annual fair and the rank of market-town on 15th Oct. 1803.

At the census in 1828 there were 4076 inhabitants in Füzesgyarmat.

The first industrialist guild was formed at that time as the first institution of becoming an industrialized market-town. It was called United Guild Company, with 44 members. Our village held the rank of market-town till the Settlement of 1867, when they resigned by own decision from the rank of market-town because of the grave burden of tax.

Before the turn of the century and then following till the Second World War the agriculture of our village was determined by little and medium sized farms. In this period, Füzesgyarmat had made a great leap forward.

Post office, telegraph office, telephone office, savings bank, credit-cooperative, railway-station, health centre, rolling-mill, steam-mill, 2 brick-works, 2 distilleries, boot and shooe factory were established.

The medical and solicitor's network was developed.

In 1906 Hati confectioner's took up its duties, which is running at present. The village has had water pipes since 1935.

The commercial works were carried out by Ant Co-operative and merchant network. In 1937 Nagybucsa, Kertészsziget, Bucsatelep and several smaller villages were pertained to Füzesgyarmat in administrative.

The Second World War passedon 7th Oct. 1944.

In the spring of 1945 land redistributor committee was established and if distributed 24.240 cadastral acres land.

In 1948 a machine center came into existence with 9 engines.

In 1946 the Farm Labourer Co-operative was established which took over the supply of the village. In 1955 the co-operative had already 14 premises and 3 bars. In the fifties there were 3 craftsmen's co-operative besides existents industrial factories (vehicle manufacturer, shoemaker, building company) and 88 self employed craftsmen functioned.

In 1951 Community Centre was established where 7 drama groups and 3 dance ensembles worked. The Community Centre has been the determinant part of the cultural life up to the present.

An old people's home has existed since 1954.

In 1957 there 5 agricultural co-operatives (Vörös Csillag, Táncsics, Kossuth, Aranykalász, Győzelem) besides the own farmers, who worked on 2760 cadastral acres.

Craftsmen's club, chorus, and other cultural groups were founded.

In 1955 there were 3 primary school in the large village. There were 2 nursery schools and a 1883 volumes public library with 685 readers.

Following the centralizer efforts of the seventies co-operatives that were normally in good working order were amalgamated. In 1975 Vörös Csillag co-operative was established and it had become the most powerful and well-known agricultural factory all over the country till the eighties.

The Vörös Csillag Agricultural Co-operative was determinant in the life of the village. In 1975 the local government founded the Budgetary Factory which pursued construction activity.

With the amalgamation of the neighbouring villages' organizations the Szeghalom és Vidéke ÁFÉSZ was established which was continuously wasted and was axed its units in Füzesgyarmat, so the entrepreneurial sphere played even more leadership in the basis supply.

This leadership is held by the entrepreneuring in Füzesgyarmat to the present day. From the eighties our institute system has changed, therefore by 1996 Health Centre was established, Cultural Institutions were set up, wer renewed the open-air pool, we officially opened a wonderful sports hall, and Hotel Gara was built. The opening and production of gas and crude oll treasure brought radical changes in the life of Füzesgyarmat. The researches began in 1986 and then the opening and procuction work went on year by year (with more and more might). New employments were born for the inhabitants, which ensure that they had enough to live in the long run.

The investments of NKFV and MOL RT having good contracts with local government has done important infrastructural development.

In 1989 the result of change of regime and democratic transformation was the gradual dissolving of agricultural co-operatives.

In the autumn of 1992 occured for the private and resignation collective from the great co-operative.

In december 1996 six little agriculural co-operatives were busy in our settlement. The tourism of settlement is meaningful, because we have open air swimming-pool with excellent thermal water.

The open-air pool is situated in the old mansion garden in beautiful environment. Visitors from abroad and all over the country come here due to stretched water surface and pools with rotation of water.

In 1994-95 the swimming pool was renovated, and it is visited by 70-80 thousand guests every year.

Near the open-air pool the Hotel Gara can be found, which is the most exclusive hotel in Békés county.

Guesis from all over the country and some countries from Africa, and America and Western Europe arrive here as vivitors and participants of further vocational trainings and economical meetings.

Füzesgyarmat has been making a good progress in the last 15 years. New roads, modern buildings, development of natural gas network, cable television and telephone network outlined the last years.

Due to this development our settlement will step over to the second thousand years with urban appearance.

Pictures:

1. The lido

2. The village centre (Village Hall)

3. The Gara Hotel