National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-Of-Arms of the Village of Forráskút
Click to zoom

Forráskút

(Csongrád County)

On the territory of the scattered farms previously making part of Kiskundorozsma there were inhabited pasture grounds, interspersed with marshy, reedy areas and natural springlets. This is the origin of the village’s name (Forráskút=spring well). Its Church built in 1906 of 97000 baked brickshad been dedicated in memory of the Ascension. As tradition has it, there was a Church here already before the Mongol invasion in 1241-42, wich sunk, howeever the initiates still are able to hear its bells ringing at midnight of noted days – St. George, St. Stephen and St. Micheal. The most important Church feast of the village is the Parish feast, hed on the Sunday preceding Whitsun.

The independence of Forráskút developed in an interesting way. Until 1950 it was part of Kiskundorozsma, from 1950 to 1977 it was an independent community, while from 1977 to 1988 an associated community of Üllés. Finally as from January 1. 1989, Forrsákút became again an independent community. The arms of the village are „talking” ones, remembering with their symbols the great peripeties of the past. Tha snake holding the orb, being the heraldic animal of the Dorozsma family, reminds the times when family held possesion of this environs. The arm round wich the snake is coiled, holding tight however the snake’s throat, refers to the Cumanians settled down here. The hand grasping a sabre reminds the number of border guard families settled here after Turks had been driven out. The wavy silver fess symbolies the watery, marshy land, the excess water of wich had been led away by brook Sia. The water pouring out of an inclined amphora at the middle of the escutcheon’s base is symbol of the sources referring to the village’s actual name. One of the two bells symbolies that village has a parish, the other one the sunken Church. The helmet reminds the village’s war dead.

Several architectural monuments, including the remains of the former Jernei mansion await the visitors interested in investigating the past.