In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Somogy)
Fonyód is a well-known spa in the northwestern part of the county of Somogy, on the southern shore of Lake Balaton.
The town's coat-of-arms is a spade shield erect azure, with base curved to a point. In base four lines per fess engrailed sable imitating waves, surmounted by a high-straked two-masted sailing boat (scow) argent, passant contourné, the masts rigged with a triangular square sail each.
Across the top a helmet or with an open visor, lined tanné sable, borne at a slant, surmounted by an eagle abaissé clinging with the dexter talon to the visor.
The scarves diapering floral ornaments (acanthus leaves) and enfiling the shield are on the dexter azure and argent, on the sinister gules and or.
The colour blue of the shield represents the water of Lake Balaton and the clear blue sky above, the beauty of the countryside, the town's character as a spa and a resort, the fine view over the hills of the Balaton Uplands (Szigliget, Badacsony, Gulács, Csobánc, etc.), the importance of the town's harbour, its fishing and angling, as well as the bustling life along the lakeshore and on the lake itself.
The four lines of ripples call attention to the town's great popularity and its role as a cultural centre, demonstrated by libraries, open-air theatres, cultural events (spring and summer festivals, historical scenes and plays performed at the castle, meetings with poets, vintage shows, etc.), popular schools, as well as by poets, writers, musicians, artists and scientists working here more or less regularly. In addition, the colour blue also refers to the mineral water of outstanding quality produced in the town, and to the medicinal baths in the vicinity, at Csisztapuszta.
The boat indicates the town's importance as a centre of traffic, for it had served as a crossing place to the northern shore since bygone days, and the ferry service became regular since the 16th century onwards. Its harbour first dreamt about by Count István Széchenyi was built in the 1840s (modernised in 1898), and it also serves as an important road and railway junction. (The railway between Budapest and Nagykanizsa was opened in 1861, from Fonyód to Kaposvár in 1896.) The type of boat suggests that fishing in the town has always been of utmost importance; the operation of the fishing fleet and of the ice cellars, as well as the provision of the restaurants and guests with fish was made sure first by fishermen of the estates and their associations, later by companies of higher organization. The town's role as a sailing sports centre became significant after 1938, following the building of the sailing harbour. The speedy water police of Fonyód keep control of a long shore. In addition, the boat is also a reminder of the fact that the settlement made a home for refugees arriving from distant places like South Transylvania or Poland.
The eagle as a crest symbolises the fact that the one-time island emerging from Nagyberek had been inhabited since olden times, proved by a series of findings from the palaeolithic, neolithic, copper, bronze, iron and Roman ages. During the reign of King St László the settlement was possessed by the Abbey of Pannonhalma (1082), and by 1121 it had already become an island village (villa) and a fishing place. In the days of the Anjou kings the village already had a church (built 1332-1337) and a castle was also under construction. The settlement was destroyed by the Turks (1575), but was later rebuilt. In 1905 it became an independent small village and in 1928 it was ranked as a village. Between 1949 and 1974 it was a district seat; in 1970 it became a municipality and in 1989 it was raised to the rank of town. Finally the eagle is also a reminder of the Lengyel family, one-time owners ot the settlement.
The helmet symbolises St László, the knight king, who was the first to have Fonyód's name put in writing. Also, it refers to the fact that as early as in the 10-11th centuries an earthwork might have stood here. There is evidence of a fortification in the 14-16th centuries, heroically defended against the Turks between 1544 and 1575, when it finally fell and was destroyed. The village itself also got depopulated. Later the two world wars took a heavy toll. On the other hand the helmet, as the symbol of the trial of strength, refers to sport and to the facilities for physical training offered by the town's sports complex, stadium and sports hotel.
The rich foliage of the mantling refers to the fact that the town's name might have its origin in the verb 'fon' (meaning yarn), but it also represents the luxuriant flora, the majestic oak forest and the renowned viniculture of the Fonyódi Hill.